Interested in doing some EMS instruction. Advice?

fiznat

I am interested in doing a little bit of EMS instruction, maybe helping out with an EMT or medic class from time to time. I have been in EMS for 6 years now which isn't a long time, but I feel that I have gained some experience over this time that I might be able to pass on to some students.

I was hoping some of you EMS instructors out there could give me a little bit of advice. I actually have a few specific questions:

-What does an EMS-I cert (not intermediate, but instructor) really mean, and what are the cert requirements. Is it absolutely necessary to have?

-What kinds of things do I need to know before I walk into a classroom and expect to teach new students? There are a lot of things I know about EMS, but I don't know much about teaching.

Any advice would be helpful.

EMT instructor does not mean squat to me. There is definitely a difference between an EMT instructor and an EMS Educator. Most states just require the national standard EMS instructor course (40 hrs) in length, and some experience time (dependent upon the state) to become an instructor, some do not even require that for adjuncts or assistants.

My best advice in starting out is to assist in lab's such as skills. Basic EMT and first responder courses. This will give you some experience interacting with adult students. Later on you might fill in for some special occasions or topics.

If possible attend other instructor workshops and obtain levels of instructor, since most require some form of instructor training. If you really want to become legitimate as an educator, I suggest taking some adult education courses.

Good luck,

R/r 911

• 4 weeks later...
EMT instructor does not mean squat to me. There is definitely a difference between an EMT instructor and an EMS Educator. Most states just require the national standard EMS instructor course (40 hrs) in length, and some experience time (dependent upon the state) to become an instructor, some do not even require that for adjuncts or assistants.

My best advice in starting out is to assist in lab's such as skills. Basic EMT and first responder courses. This will give you some experience interacting with adult students. Later on you might fill in for some special occasions or topics.

If possible attend other instructor workshops and obtain levels of instructor, since most require some form of instructor training. If you really want to become legitimate as an educator, I suggest taking some adult education courses.

Good luck,

R/r 911

Kind of contradicting Rid'... At least where I practice.

The Maine EMS Instructor Coordinator course, which is a prerequisite to be even an adjunct faculty member at the college, teaches precisely what you just preached. It also contributes to the accreditation of the EMS degree itself.

Find a school or instructor where you like what you're seeing. Then ask if you can help with the skills labs. That's what I'm currently doing... the instructor for my fiancee's class rocks, and I was lucky enough to get to help with the skills lab on Monday night. There's nothing more fun than teaching in my opinion...

That gets your foot in the door, allows you to see if you really like teaching EMS, and then gives you a contact to work with should you decide to go further as an educator.

Just my opinion on the matter!

Wendy

CO EMT-B

• 4 weeks later...

I teach in NYS. In NY you need to be certified as a lab instructor first, then you take an instructor course and are mentored for 60 hours by a senior instructor. After being evaluated by two other instructors you send in your paperwork to NY state. Hopefully all goes well and you get certified as an instructor. Took about a 18 months.

PS I am a full time teacher.

Hey Fiz, I'm also starting to look into some instructing opportunities. Simple stuff like helping with skills days, traction splints, KED, etc. I wouldn't say I"m qualified to do any actual academic teaching, but I think I can be helpful with basic skills stuff that I've done in the field.

I'm starting off by just volunteering at a school where I trust the instructors. I learn a lot each time I help out, mainly as a role-player, some sometimes some minor logistics, but I get to see how a lot of educators teach. I also help with the new-hire skills testing days at my company which turns into teaching when the EMTs have were trained with different equipment than what we have.

Anthony'

You seem as if you would make a great educator. You bring a lot of great information to the city and you are always willing to offer advice and help to the visitors here. Keep getting into those skills labs and other training scenarios to get your foot in the door.

If I may make a suggestion to you, get in the next IC (instructor coordinator) course to obtain your IC license. It's only about a 45 hour course. That sets you up for bigger things such as being a PHTLS instructor and such.

From there, if you do not have a degree, start taking some classes to obtain an associates degree as most colleges will require a degree and an IC license to teach at the academic level.

I am a adjunct instructor for the Paramedic/EMS degree in Northern Maine. The college I work for requires both of these. I'm sure that many schools will be similar in what they require for full time instructors and adjunct instructors.

If it seems like it is too much for you at this time, then you could still help out at all of the practical stations that take place and other things like that. It still gets your foot in the door.

If you need any other information, let me know.