"Paramedic's save lives, EMT's save Paramedics"

So from the disappointment thread, the discussion turned to the idea of the statement "Paramedic's save lives, EMT's save paramedics." As a basic, let's here specific stories of how you "saved" your paramedic partners? There's a difference between being observant and catching something, and your partner simply messing up in the first place. Keep that in mind in your stories.

My own opinion on the saying is that nothing could be farther from the truth. Provided that I'm on my game with my education and practice, an EMT-B is little more than someone who can assist me with certain skills by taking direction or initiative based on experience. There are countless times that I've done something or not done something only to be questioned by an EMT. Sometimes this questioning comes in an attempt to learn, and other times it comes in the form of an attack. But one thing is that I can explain to someone why I did or didn't do something. And until you share my knowledge, a basic should be delicate in how they word things to a paramedic. As a basic (assuming nothing more than EMT-B training), you're more than likely not sure of what a paramedic knows and doesn't know as far as their training. Many EMT's come out of basic training thinking they are ready to save the world. In my first few months of paramedic school we were simply coming to realize what I didn't know about the big picture when it comes to patient care. A few years later of practicing as a paramedic, and I still learn what I don't know about the big picture. With the experience that I've gained, I'm happy to admit that I don't know the entire big picture. It's part of what makes EMS fun and exciting for me. It's a never ending learning cycle.

So let's here your stories of how you've saved your medics...Provide details, not that it's simply happened a lot.

Shane

NREMT-P

I know it's been brought up before, but I figured we might actually get examples if it were it's own thread. And it will hopefully allow the other thread to get back to it's original topic. This will increase exposure, and maybe the number of stories? Although, I'm guessing that the true number of stories will be few. But I could be wrong.

Shane

NREMT-P

This is the biggest BS topic of all time.

1. EMS is about patient care, not egos of those involved.

2. If you think it is a pissing match about who is better, think again.

3. To serve our patients better, we all need to look at our roles & identify what level of care is needed for each individual patient.

4. How many calls in reality are ALS or BLS calls? & WHO CARES!!!!!!!

There is a place in EMS for all levels of training, from basic to medic, volly's included & threads like this do nothing to bridge the gap but conversly widen the gap between the skill levels.

Each needs to function with mutual respect for each other. No one is better than the other because of their skill level. The reality is for a medic to be a good medic, then they need to be good at the basics first.

Get over it.

Phil

• Like 1

I have to say, I like this topic and disagree with those against it. While yes, there may be roles for everyone and we all need to work together, this is a very valid discussion.

Remove the emotional aspect and let us intelligently discuss this. If they statements are going to be made and tshirts sold, then there should be no problem validating or quanitfying the statement.

The point of this thread as I see it, would be a learning experience for all who contribute in a positive manner. The medics may learn or become aware of a behavior or piece of knowledge they did not have prior.

This could be very positive if we choose to make it that way.

I will start... as an EMT with a medic partner, I saved my partner's ass ZERO times. I say that with all seriousness. I did not know enough about what he/her knew to tell him any different. Now I did question why things were done and in my ignorance thought I could do better or knew better, but I truly NEVER saved my medic partners ass.

Therefore, I have no stories to tell.

No one is better than the other because of their skill level.

Phil, meant with no sarcasm...

How do you define better in terms of the EMS field?

Why does this question make the people that use this statement so angry? Why are they never willing to simply tell their stories and be done with it?

If a basic saves a medic, simply because s/he's not a medic, would a first responder or boy scout save them equally well, as they meet the same requirement of being a "non medic?"

Is it your feeling that "medics save lives, basics save medics" is a valid statement?

Dwayne

It's fun and exciting to call each other out on mistakes? I don't see the need to pat yourself on the back because you pointed out a mistake your partner made. I think if you see something that's a potential life threat to a patient, it's your job to do that, equally. However, should that be something that you should be so proud of, that you need to boast? A quiet discussion afterward to get any rough edges smoothed out, maybe.

Phil, meant with no sarcasm...

How do you define better in terms of the EMS field?

Why does this question make the people that use this statement so angry? Why are they never willing to simply tell their stories and be done with it?

If a basic saves a medic, simply because s/he's not a medic, would a first responder or boy scout save them equally well, as they meet the same requirement of being a "non medic?"

Is it your feeling that "medics save lives, basics save medics" is a valid statement?

Dwayne

No I do not believe it to be valid.

My statment refers to the ability of anyone in ems to provide a level of care appropriate to their abilities.

The notion that a person who has been a basic for many years & is committed to their vocation, at that level, should not be able to offer opinions to a medic with a piece of paper & no practical experience is fair, as is the ability of a medic to be humble enough to be able to discuss a case with a peer/ colleague.

The vast majority of calls the ems attend do not require ALS interventions, but to provide ALS interventions properly, a medic should, as I stated earlier, be able to do the basics well. This is a basic tenet of EMS worldwide.

As 4cmk6 stated

It's fun and exciting to call each other out on mistakes? I don't see the need to pat yourself on the back because you pointed out a mistake your partner made. I think if you see something that's a potential life threat to a patient, it's your job to do that, equally.

No one of any level is 'better' than anyone else. We are peers. Some have more skills & abilities that they over time have achieved, but in essence, we should all have a mutual respect for each other & the skills & abilites we posess.

Phil

As a basic, let's here specific stories of how you "saved" your paramedic partners? There's a difference between being observant and catching something, and your partner simply messing up in the first place. Keep that in mind in your stories.
What the heck kind of question is that? How ELSE do you save your paramedic OR basic partner?

I warned everybody in a previous thread about my goin postal if I heard this stupid saying one more time.

Well I'm goin to the post office to get some of those lifetime stamps.

How's that for goin postal.

I was the one originally who asked Wynter (one of the posters on a different thread) just how she/he had saved her paramedic partner. It sounded like it happened on a regular basis. I threw down the gauntlet for anyone to post giving examples of how they saved their paramedic partner and I don't believe anyone took me up on that challenge.

So come on all you basics out there who believe this line of chicken coop crap. Just how have you saved your paramedic partner.

The only way you could have saved him/her are the following -

1. you used an AED on them when they went into cardiac arrest

2. you kept them from walking into traffic

3. you kept them from getting killed by a madman with a gun by throwing yourself in front of the bullets and effectively using your bullet proof vest as a shield.

4. You saved him from some other life threat that he/she was unaware of.

Those are really the only way an EMT or a medic partner could save their medic partner.

So come on, get off this bandwagon of "emt's save paramedics"

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.