Interested in becoming a Paramedic in So. Cal.

BigMike80

.....if you want to be a GOOD medic you have to be a GOOD to GREAT EMT first. Whatever you decide on doing, for the sake of your future patients & partners & mostly YOURSELF, don't rush going to Paramedic school just to be a MEDIC.

Mike, Mike, Mike... You were doing SO awesome before you got to that part. :?

Moving on... what is the FDs involvement in EMS in SD? Do they only do first response, or do they claim the ALS domain, like in L.A.? Are they "in charge" of EMS, with RM being utilsed pretty much only as transport, or does RM get to run a serious system? I love SD, so I am curious about how things are run there.

And dude, what's up with that mayor crying like a little bitch on televison the other day? :lol:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moving on... what is the FDs involvement in EMS in SD? Do they only do first response, or do they claim the ALS domain, like in L.A.? Are they "in charge" of EMS, with RM being utilsed pretty much only as transport, or does RM get to run a serious system? I love SD, so I am curious about how things are run there.

Im still not quite sure what the different acronyms mean so maybe you can clarify for me? ALS and RM in particular. Also Im not quite sure if the FD does first response or ALS (still not sure what that means)...but I will ask my friend and get back to you on that.

Mike

[quote="DustdevilMoving on... what is the FDs involvement in EMS in SD? Do they only do first response, or do they claim the ALS domain, like in L.A.? Are they "in charge" of EMS, with RM being utilsed pretty much only as transport, or does RM get to run a serious system? I love SD, so I am curious about how things are run there.

Im still not quite sure what the different acronyms mean so maybe you can clarify for me? ALS and RM in particular. Also Im not quite sure if the FD does first response or ALS (still not sure what that means)...but I will ask my friend and get back to you on that.

Mike

ALS is Advanced Life Support. How long have you been in EMS (Emergency Medical Services)?

Im not in EMS...I have yet to take the EMT course. This is something I want to get into and Im trying to learn as much about it as I can. I plan on taking the EMT courses in the Spring and start working as an EMT when I finish so I can get my experience to move on to Paramedic school.

Im not in EMS...I have yet to take the EMT course. This is something I want to get into and Im trying to learn as much about it as I can. I plan on taking the EMT courses in the Spring and start working as an EMT when I finish so I can get my experience to move on to Paramedic school.

Sorry I got you confused. I will try and help all I can. I really am nice and helpful when you get past the old grouchy side of me.

Really we should stop using all these letters and spell out for two reasons, 1. visitors and students such as yourself and 2. there are a lot of regional variations.

Now to gripe at Dust as he has been a big proponent of not using acronyms, so I say whats up with that my friend? :wink: Can you please spell out for our future paramedic and for me to? What or who is "RM"?

I think its Rural Metro...

Yes. RM is pretty widely understood to be Rural Metro nationwide, just as AMR is understood to be American Medical Response. Since Romee had already mentioned Rural Metro at least three times -- and since I was specifically talking to him -- I didn't think the abbreviation was a big deal.

When we talk about ALS, we generally mean paramedic level care. That is, the administration of fluids, drugs, cardiac rhythm interpretation and care, invasive airway procedures, etc... BLS refers to EMT level care. Although, these are only generalised definitions. The lines are blurry these days with a lot of EMTs operating way over their heads. It is important to note that ALS and BLS refer to the level of care being provided. They do NOT refer to the level of the provider providing them. ALS being provided by an EMT is still ALS. Pharmacological therapy does not become BLS just because it is an EMT providing it.

This is relevant because in areas such as L.A., they put a very bold line between the two, with the firemonkeys exerting total domain over ALS in a sort-of "Me Tarzan, you Jane" kind of power play, relegating all other EMS providers -- even paramedics with more than twice the education of the firemonkeys -- to the role of ambulance driver. The firemonkeys ride in on their red stallions and save the day with their heroism and extensive 4 month medical education, then shove the patient off into the private ambulance to take care of the mundane tasks of patient care and transportation. Of all possible EMS system combinations, this one makes the least possible sense on any level, which is why it really hasn't spread much outside of California. What I was asking Romee is if that is how SD operates, or if RM actually runs the EMS system entirely, without having to split the pie with the firemonkeys and take the dregs.

OK...I just saw you say Mike and got confused as well. Too many Mike's are running around. I also want to make sure I start understanding all the terminolgy dealing with paramedics so there will probably be more newbie questions that come from me. And thanks again for all the info you guys have been providing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.