Interested in becoming a Paramedic in So. Cal.

BigMike80

I work in Riverside County, so I can answer some of your questions.

First of all, please do your future patient's a favor by working as an EMT running 911 calls for at least 2 years before you go to medic's school. I can't stress enough how important it is to have a good deal of 911 experience before you go to paramedic's school. While you get hands-on experience working as an EMT, do everything you can do educate yourself. Go to the library every week and bring home an armfull of books. Take as many classes (anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, PHTLS, ACLS, etc.) as you can find.

Once you become a medic, you can work for private companies like AMR or Rural Metro in San Diego. You can't work as a medic in LA because all the 911 here is done by fire department firefighter/medics. Riverside and San Bernadino counties are you're other options in So Cal. The problem is that you can't make enough to live a middle-class lifestyle, so then you're only other option is to join a fire department or go into nursing or PA.

It sounds like you have good intentions about why you want to become a paramedics. You'll learn a lot more about this job once you start working as an EMT, and from there you'll get a better feel of whether or not this is the career for you. I love being on an ambulance, but be aware that the burnout rate for EMT's and medics is very high.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some links to protocols in several CA counties. You can compare them to other states. (For anyone reading this outside of CA, why not add links to your local protocols also.)

Riverside County: http://www.rivcoems.org/documents/documents.html

Orange County: http://www.ochealthinfo.com/medical/ems/guidelines/

Pittsburg, PA: http://www.pitt.edu/~roth1/Protocols/alsprotocols717.pdf

Austin, TX: http://www.atcomd.org/downloads/cog2007v22.pdf

Memphis, TN: http://memphistn.gov/pdf_forms/BLS2006-9-06.pdf

I work in Riverside County, so I can answer some of your questions.

First of all, please do your future patient's a favor by working as an EMT running 911 calls for at least 2 years before you go to medic's school. I can't stress enough how important it is to have a good deal of 911 experience before you go to paramedic's school.

Sorry IMHO bad advice ZZ. Take it from someone that delayed. Don't. Go on straight to Paramedic. You can get your experience as a basic while you are in the Paramedic program. Do your patients a favor by actually having the education to benefit them. Much of the burnout we see is because the stress that is caused by lack of education.

GO STRAIGHT TO PARAMEDIC PROGRAM, DO NOT PASS GO DO NOT COLLECT $200, GO STRAIGHT TO PARAMEDIC PROGRAM.

Why rush going to paramedic school? What's the point?

There is so much to learn about the practice of medicine. Five months of classroom, a month in the ER, and two months in the field is not enough to make you a decent new medic. The new medics that I see who've had no prior 911 experience as EMT's are really scary.

ZZYZX,

Please search through the forums and you'll find many arguments supporting Spenac's point of view.

There is no point in working as an EMT for two years prior to going to paramedic school. The only thing that will do is solidify bad habits and give the EMT plenty of experience doing just about everything *but* patient care.

There is no harm in going straight into paramedic school. In fact, given the educational background of the original poster, he will most definitely do better to go straight into paramedic school instead of wasting his time as a Basic.

Please search the forums for some details on just how short-sighted it is to work as a basic for any length of time prior to paramedic school. You'll be amazed at what you read.

Mike: If you're interested, and it sounds like you are, please reread DustDevil's postings. He is right on the money and you won't go wrong to follow his advice.

-be safe

Zzyzx's advice might have to do with number of calls they get in his area.

While it is time for me to go to medic school, I'm glad I've had the chance to be an EMT for almost a year, now. Every few months, I feel like I have a breakthrough in my comfort and confidence level, which I know will be critical. I don't want to be figuring that stuff out while I'm also figuring out how to be a medic. I know I won't have much time to work as an EMT while I go to medic school (most around here seem to be full-time and some make you sign contracts saying you won't work, so you can concentrate on studies).

Of course, if I had worked in a better system with a good mentor, perhaps had a better EMT class, and took the UCLA Paramedic Prep Course (which completely changed my mindset on calls...looking for the underlying problem and all that), and better EMS system, then I would probably be ready in three months.

Just enough time to get comfortable with different calls (multi-tasking, patient interaction, exposure to chaotic scenes, ambulance operations).

Zzyzx, while we're on the subject. Do you have any input on quality of paramedic schools in Riverside and San Bernardino. I'm now leaning away from LA county schools, despite UCLA-Daniel Freeman and Mt. SAC having really good reputations...just so I can have my internship in a place with a great scope.

Why rush going to paramedic school? What's the point?

Education is the point. Education is the foundation of everything you will do in your career. The sooner you have a foundation under you, the sooner you will have a profession. Without it, you're just an ambulance driver who may be seeing a lot of patients, but is not gaining the benefit from that exposure that you would if you had been presented an understanding of their conditions through education. Seeing patients and understanding patients are two completely different things.

There is no other medical profession that encourages their aspirants to practise before education. There is no other medical profession that sucks. Coincidence? I think not.

There is so much to learn about the practice of medicine. Five months of classroom, a month in the ER, and two months in the field is not enough to make you a decent new medic. The new medics that I see who've had no prior 911 experience as EMT's are really scary.

There are two things that are "scary" about it. First, that those eight months you listed are the only education they have. That is definitely scary. Fortunately, Big Mike already has four years on them. Second is that their lame arse employers would actually cut them loose on their own with just an ambulance driver as a partner. That's not their fault. That's the fault of a majorly flawed agency. And two extra years of driving an ambulance and making up cots isn't going to make one bit of difference on how well they practise medicine.

I want to thank you guys for the info you have given me so far. I recently went to there firehouse where my friend is a captain and was talking to the paramedic there and got some really good advice from him as well. This is something I definitely want to do and feel that is something I will be happy doing long term (I have been searching for something that will fit that requirement). I will be taking my EMT courses possibly in January (if I can get off work for a 3 week interim course) or when the spring semester starts. I cant wait to get started and I will keep you all posted on my progress.

Thanks again

Mike

I cant wait to get started and I will keep you all posted on my progress.

I really hope that you do!

You're going to be a great asset to somebody. I wish I was going to be there to see it.

Best of luck!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.