Poked with dirty needle...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been told by an ER doc here that the best thing an EMT can do for themselves after an exposure is to present themselves to triage after transferring care and request an evaluation. Something along the lines of the hospital having more options legally that way.

I don't understand how it is that a city the size of LA doesn't have the capability to do a rapid HIV test when we can do them in a small town close to us with a pop. of only 18,000 and a small hospital with only 36 beds. I would be doing some checking into that. By the rapid not being available you are put in the position of having to take the precautionary meds until the results of the patients test comes back.

Well, the hospital we were delivering too honestly wasn't a great one. There are some nice hospitals in LA, but a lot of really overworked overstrained underbudgeted ones. This wasn't a big hospital. They said they have to send the labs to a company and company sends them back. They probably don't own the more expensive test equipment, probably b/c no one who uses it can pay their bills probably.

I wonder if I can pay for it myself.

Make the medic pay the bills. His screwup and carelessness resulted in you getting stuck.

OraSure makes the Rapid HIV test. It is produced in Bethlehem, PA.

I'd be more worried about Hep C.

Good luck bro.

Heh, I already left them a message a few hours ago, wondering if they had dealers here or if they had to ship from there and get that part taken care of. Guess she could still be a Hep carrier, though (she wasn't symptomatic). Nursing home's going to get me in touch with family to ask about transfusions, dialysis, drug use, travel hx...can't really ask about sexual hx, I guess.

What are your protocols for follow up? I dont know how your protocols are there but here when we get a needle stick we get the intital testing, 3 months later another, then 6 months post stick, then a year and yearly after. We dont have a rapid test here either and waiting those days seems like an eternity.

But i agree with the rest of these guys the Medic needs some thing needs done with the medic that is why the retractable needs were invented was to stop accidents like this, but none the less they still happen.

terr

In our area, as I stated, there is one hospital that can do the rapid test. The blood draw is taken by ambulance to the hospital (not crew involved plus lab tech) and they wait for the results and bring them back to the ED. The reason for the ambulance personnel taking them is to ensure proper handling and to expedite transport as time is of the essence. Yes, they do go L & S. This is standard protocol for our area as a needle stick is considered a life threat. No results are EVER given over the phone from the lab to the ED. They do the initial test. Another a month later, six months after that, another six months later, and then yearly. They also test for HEP although it is required that we are inoculated for it.

Anthony, I do hope all goes well for you. I will keep you in my thoughts and say some prayers for you. Oh yeah, at a minimum, slap the medic.

In our area, as I stated, there is one hospital that can do the rapid test. The blood draw is taken by ambulance to the hospital (not crew involved plus lab tech) and they wait for the results and bring them back to the ED. The reason for the ambulance personnel taking them is to ensure proper handling and to expedite transport as time is of the essence. Yes, they do go L & S. This is standard protocol for our area as a needle stick is considered a life threat. No results are EVER given over the phone from the lab to the ED. They do the initial test. Another a month later, six months after that, another six months later, and then yearly. They also test for HEP although it is required that we are inoculated for it.

Anthony, I do hope all goes well for you. I will keep you in my thoughts and say some prayers for you. Oh yeah, at a minimum, slap the medic.

HOLY CRAPOLA BATMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're joking Kat right? A needlestick is considered a lifethreat? Maybe a ways down the road but no needlestick has ever been considered an emergency that requires the response that you say your service provides. OY VEY.

your service transports a blood test to a hospital while going emergency???? That's insane and Absurd. What happens if the ambulance hits someone or crashes? How will your service justify the running hot with a blood test on board.

I'm just flabbergasted. Which bright star in your service thought of this?

Why does it take a medic and and EMT or a full crew to guarantee that this test is handled properly? don't you have supervisors who have a explorer or some type of supervisor vehicle that can do this job?

In essence, your service is putting the community at risk to get a blood test to the hospital.

Good luck trying to defend that in court.

"Oh your honor, we were transporting a blood test to the hospital when we broadsided the car with young Johnny in it. We didn't mean to kill him but we had to get this blood test to the hospital."

Judge to you "I find you fully negligent in the death of little johnny. Johnny's mom, how big of a check do you want Kat's company to write out?? 500K, OK and I'll tack on Treble damages for grievously putting the public at risk to transport a blood test to the hospital"

You are out of a job, your company pays out millions to the victim and receives terrible press all because someone in your company (some bright star) decided that a blood test, a freakin blood test needed to be transported to the hospital emergency.

Yes yes, my reply with the court room verbage sounded rediculous but the response of your service is also rediculous.

I'd like to see what others have to say on this. Maybe it's just me but I dont think it is.

Kat, do you think this level of response is justified?

HOLY CRAPOLA BATMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're joking Kat right? A needlestick is considered a lifethreat? Maybe a ways down the road but no needlestick has ever been considered an emergency that requires the response that you say your service provides. OY VEY.

your service transports a blood test to a hospital while going emergency???? That's insane and Absurd. What happens if the ambulance hits someone or crashes? How will your service justify the running hot with a blood test on board.

I'm just flabbergasted. Which bright star in your service thought of this?

Why does it take a medic and and EMT or a full crew to guarantee that this test is handled properly? don't you have supervisors who have a explorer or some type of supervisor vehicle that can do this job?

In essence, your service is putting the community at risk to get a blood test to the hospital.

Good luck trying to defend that in court.

"Oh your honor, we were transporting a blood test to the hospital when we broadsided the car with young Johnny in it. We didn't mean to kill him but we had to get this blood test to the hospital."

Judge to you "I find you fully negligent in the death of little johnny. Johnny's mom, how big of a check do you want Kat's company to write out?? 500K, OK and I'll tack on Treble damages for grievously putting the public at risk to transport a blood test to the hospital"

You are out of a job, your company pays out millions to the victim and receives terrible press all because someone in your company (some bright star) decided that a blood test, a freakin blood test needed to be transported to the hospital emergency.

Yes yes, my reply with the court room verbage sounded rediculous but the response of your service is also rediculous.

I'd like to see what others have to say on this. Maybe it's just me but I dont think it is.

Kat, do you think this level of response is justified?

Well stated. Couldn't agree more.

And Kat, be thankful that they test for Hep in the blood work. Your vaccination covers only one (commonly the Hep B vaccine) type of Hep. I've gotten the Hep A & B vaccine's. But there are still multiple other strains of Hepatitis. They don't have vaccine's for every type of Hep there is. Be thankful they test for it. They just go about handling it in the wrong manner.

Shane

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.