Uniform Patch Placement

The FDNY uniform doesn't call for a US Flag, but what I have seen supports an opine already on this string.

Departmental patch centered on the left shoulder, one inch below the shoulder seam, a US Flag patch of the star field to the right type, also sewn onto the center of the sleeve one inch below the shoulder seam.

My personal preference is the 7 button style "military" type uniform shirt, with "baked in" seams, and velcro fastening breast pockets. I offer the Galls catalog for examples, while advising I am neither supporting them or their competitors. Place the level of training patch one inch above the left pocket.

Or...

As an alternate, departmental patch one inch below the center of the left shoulder sleeve seam, level of training patch one inch below the center of the right shoulder sleeve seam, with a regular, star field to the left, American flag sewn in an inch above the flap of the left pocket. If the service uses a badge (PLEASE DO NOT DRAG ME INTO THAT ARGUMENT AGAIN!), then put the flag one inch above the flap of the right pocket.

There was a time prior to the EMS/FDNY merger that a number of us wore a small US flag under the nametag, which in turn was under the badge. The flag was then commonly available for just this purpose and display.

• 3 years later...

Okay, I did a search and didn't find anything so I'm going ahead with this one. I hope I posted it in the right forum. We are in the process of ordering uniform shirts and patches for the sleeves. One sleeve will display a patch of the American Flag and the other sleeve will display our service patch with the front left breast area being left for name plates only. My question is which sleeve does the American Flag go on. I know that there is a proper placement and I want to be sure we do it right. I appreciate your input.

I'm not entirely sure either, but if you follow military (Army) uniform code, Your unit patch goes on the left shoulder and american flag on the right. Regardless of your state or agency, this should be acceptable.

Every uniform I've ever worn that had a flag as part of it, had the flag on the right shoulder with the stripes pointing in the direction the wearer was facing. This was on the uniform shirt, but not on the 'Class A' jacket that went over it.

As Richard was saying, the military style shirts (like the ones offered through Gall's) with the welted pleats/seams are by far the more professional looking shirts. I've also worn the ones that have the appearance of the classic 7 button shirt, with a concealed zipper.

From here US Flag.org

Following is a quote from the Department of Defense website... "Thank you for your inquiry about the proper placement of the American flag on the uniform of the U.S. Armed Forces.

Army Regulation 670-1, “Wear and Appearance of Army Uniforms and Insignia,” updated most recently September 5, 2003, addresses explicitly the proper and lawful placement of the U.S. flag patch on the Army uniform.

The regulation states that when authorized for application to the proper uniform the American flag patch is to be worn, right or left shoulder, so that “the star field faces forward, or to the flag’s own right. When worn in this manner, the flag is facing to the observer’s right, and gives the effect of the flag flying in the breeze as the wearer moves forward. The appropriate replica for the right shoulder sleeve is identified as the ‘reverse side flag’.”

We appreciate and share your concern for the respectful display of our American flag on the uniform of the U.S. Armed Forces."

For more information on Army Regulation 670-1 please visit the following web site, http://www.usapa.army.mil/pdffiles/r670_1.pdf

Our dress whites are setup following that guidline. The full shirt is our EMT cert patch on the right sleeve one inch below the top. Left sleeve has the flag on top one inch below the top star field foward. Below that, one inch, is our Corps insignia. Badge (line officers only) is over the left breast with name plate below that. Right breast above the pocket has our commondations (cpr save pin, stork pin, ect). On the left collar is our EMT pin, right collar has an American Flag pin. Line officers have their bars on the collar as well (those are foward on the collars, all others behind)

Hope that helps. BTW our shirts are the 5.11 series white that look like button down but are actually zipper front.

Flags-tacky.

Your not serving your country, your serving your residents in a medical based profession. In lieu of wearing scrubs, either a company and cert patch on opposing shoulders, or a company patch on both shoulders is appropriate.

If you must wear a badge, dont wear patches on your chest. Enough insignia's makes you look like the back window of a red-necks pickup truck.

However,...if you must wear a flag...

The only true way to wear it is as Paramedic Mike noted. Blue field always towards your front side, stripes to your back.

If you are going to wear the flag only truely earned by professionally serving the country it represents, then do it the same way the military people do.

Just my opinion,

PRPG

Are you trying to imply that those who serve in the armed forces are the only ones who serve their country and as such are the only ones who have truly earned the right to wear the flag?

Our service does not wear an American flag because the State requires Service patch and Certification/Licensure level on the uniform.

No special placement is required but even though we are a National registry state our state has licensure patches and we are not allowed to wear the National Registry patches.

I have seen the national registry patches on the left breast (probable because they are small and round - NOT MY man boobs but the patch).

We wear badges even though we don't need no stinking badges and a name plate on the right breast.

I would check with your states Office of Emergency Medical Services or Dept of Public Health (whom ever regulates EMS Agencies) before making a commitment to purchasing American flag patches just to be sure that you are not required to have your licensure level patch and service patch on the sleeves.

Traditionally the service patch is on the right sleeve and licensure patch on the left.

I do agree that sometimes American Flags can look tacky on some EMS uniforms and for a more professional look just go with service /licensure patches.

Most Fire departments use the service patch on a sleeve and an American flag on the other because our state has no requirement for Fire Fighters to wear their training level patch such as FF1, FF2, FF3, Instructor etc... so they tend to use the American Flag.

I am a proud veteran and do support my country but wearing an American flag pin on my uniform everyday. That might be an option for you.

Good Luck

Just a thought, but, if you wear the service/department patch on the Left sleeve, the level of training patch on the Right sleeve, if you don't have a required pin on the points of the collar, perhaps a flag pin on the left collar point? I have both US flag pins, and crossed flags (US/Star of Life, US/Israel, US/Ireland, and somewhere in the collection, US/New York State).

Almost forgot, I have at least one crossed flag pin that is generic FD/Star of Life.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.