Austin-Travis County EMS

Thanks for weighing in, Big! It's been awhile since I have known or talked to anybody working there, although I spend a lot of time in the city itself on business. Glad to have you here, and I hope you'll find a reason to stick around.

What was the occasion of that photo opportunity? Some kind of ceremony or something?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I've been told about the area they work in is that Austin itself is a big annoying splotch of blue in the otherwise red state of Texas...

Tis very true, unfortunately. It is a haven for gays, hippies, and other assorted societal rejects. It does make for a great artistic and creative culture there though. And the music cannot be beat. That's why I spend so much time there. It's a great place to visit, but I wouldn't wanna live there. Move a county or two in any direction and the political landscape starts changing pretty drastically.

Dust is right in that aspect. we do have a large homeless population and large "artistic" population. The live music is great and if you can't find something to do in this city you really aren't looking hard enough. Large bar district, largest public college campus, Lake travis is a great time. no matter what kind of music you like you can find something in your genre playing almost any night of the week. I am not big on politics but this is one of the most liberal towns I have ever visited. EMS doesn't have a residency requirement, so if liberalism isn't your thing you can live in williamson, hays, bastrop county, hell we even have people commute the 90+ miles from San Antonio. Also if a gender confused cross dressing hippie that wears comboys boots gun belt and runs for mayor isn't your thing you migh not want to live in austin. All in All student I couldn't be happier where I am at and I plan on riding this one out for 25 years.

the shirt and tie ceremony was my graduation from academy. As of right now those are our dress uniforms. On the topic of academy, it is 13 weeks its broken up into sections where you spend time on the ambulance with a training officer and time in the classroom learning sops policies and procedures and a medical equipment refresher. we did pt every morning, nothing too tough calistenics (Sp.) running weight lifting etc. IF my big hind parts can get through it just about anyone can. the time with the training officer is more familiarization with how the system works and how we work with first responders and other agencies etc. Nothing too hard but coming from a system with a completely different way of doing things that time with the training officer was invaluable to me. 6 month probation, we are a member of CLEAT.(Combined Law Enforcement Agencies of Texas) our employee association. We are non civil service. Our association is trying for things like bargaining rights and the like. If you can think of anything else you would like to know feel free to ask and I will do my best to try to answer for you. Also Student... If you have questions Use the recruiters they were a great help to me especially with coming across the country.

• 4 months later...
Also if a gender confused cross dressing hippie that wears comboys boots gun belt and runs for mayor isn't your thing you migh not want to live in austin. All in All student I couldn't be happier where I am at and I plan on riding this one out for 25 years.
Leslie not only ran for mayor... he got 1200 votes! That speaks volumes for our city politics! :D

• 1 month later...

First i would like to say, hey to mr dust devil. It's been awhile sir.

Secondly, Austin has to be one of the greatest cities to live in hands down. I myself have lived in a number of cities and visited much more, Austin is a great place. Although the secret is out and the population boom can be noticed. As far as Austin EMS is concerned, it was ranked 16 in the nation by JEMS.

Hopefully in a few months ill graduate my paramedic class and move there and grab a spot. If anyone on here can give me some pointers for the testing or ideas on preparation lemme know.

Thanks again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.