New Lopressor protocol

FL_Medic

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have had it on our ambulances since May of '06. It was only given in ACS WITH OLMC. Problem with that was that we could not get approval 8 out of 10 times with our STEMI pts. Personally in the last 2 years I have gotten permission for it 3 times and been shot down 10-12 times.

So, that being said instead of taking it offline we are doing away with it all together. Our medical director has sited a few studies that state Lopressor in early stages of AMI is not an absolute necessity, but Beta Blocker therapy is indicated to help reperfusion within 96 hours of AMI. I will have to find the study to support that.

The times I was able to use Lopressor, I liked the results I would see in the hypertensive patients, but my experience is limited. Hope you have better luck with it than I did by losing it. Keep us posted about your successes, and uses for it.

• 2 weeks later...
Our service has just updated our guidelines to include lopressor in our Acute Coronary Syndrome protocol.

Is anyone else doing this?

We have had Lopressor for a while now. It replaced cardizem for Tx of AF w/ RVR. Cardizem in the powder form is not being produced any more and the mixed vial form can only be out of refrig for 30 days.

I myself HATED to see such a good calcium channel blocker replaced by a beta blocker. Cardizem is the Tx choice for 90% of the AF pt with RVR and now we don't have it :?

BUT now with STEMIs and reducing myocardial oxygen it is great, but as has been mentioned I think, there is no change in M/M. with that said, controlling hypertension in a AMI and decreasing myocardial oxygen demand can't be wrong.......

One of the HUGH down sides to a beta blockers and specifically Lopressor is that it is a negative inoptrope along with being a negative chronotrope. AND in your AFIB pt that have CHF as a result of the ineffect cardiac output d/t the AFIB, Lopressor is counter-indicated!!! and thus why cardizem is superior.

Also one of the hugh side effects to beta-blockers is it B2 effects in causing broncho-spams and must be carefully watched in your asthmatic and COPD pt.

Peace

Most of the current generation beta blockers are beta 1 specific until you use unusually large doses. For the most part there is limited risk in COPD or Asthmatics from them.

Cardizem is also a negative inotrope/chronotrope. It will work much faster than most of the beta blockers and carries many of the same risks.

We have had Lopressor for a while now. It replaced cardizem for Tx of AF w/ RVR. Cardizem in the powder form is not being produced any more and the mixed vial form can only be out of refrig for 30 days.

Funny, I was doing research on cardizem today and came across this from EMS Responder Web Site:

http://www.emsresponder.com/print/Emergenc...iltiazem/1$3822

Logistics of Administration

Diltiazem will be administered in the prehospital setting most frequently as an intravenous bolus. It is available in both liquid and lyophilized states, although the liquid version requires refrigeration.

Therefore you still can get some that does not require refrigeration and the 30 day window!

Take a look at the date of the article you posted.

Since at least September 2007 diltiazem has been unavailable in the powder form. The only version that is still available is a prefilled syringe that has a shelf life of 30 days at room temperature.

• 2 weeks later...

5mg X3 q5min to 15 for STEMI with pulse >100... Statewide Standing order.... And it makes sense. It will <MVO2, and therefore decrease the damage. Also it is pretty much standard of care for all STEMI patients going to a cath lab when Dx in-hospital. If your medics are interp. 12leads, it's definitly makes sense... How are things in Ft Myers?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.