UK Paramedic Requirements

1EMT-P

Funny thing to me is the pay is not much better than in the states (from the active listings on the NHS site) ...The pay looks to be about $25,000 a year to $35,000 a year (in USD) which would be almost impossible to live on in a major UK city....

So why would you want to leave the good ol' USA?

Funny thing to me is the pay is not much better than in the states (from the active listings on the NHS site) ...The pay looks to be about $25,000 a year to $35,000 a year (in USD) which would be almost impossible to live on in a major UK city....

Nah, basic pay for a UK Paramedic will be AFC band 5 which is in the region of £20,000 - £25,000 ($40,000 - $50,000) to start.

However...the higher cost of living in the UK will probably make your figures seem more realistic.

1£ = 2$'s, but your dollar (in the US) can take you as far as a pound (in the UK).

What the heck are unsocial hours?

Are those the hours that they are mean and nasty to the patients and they get paid to be unsocial???? I've worked with some of the most unsocial people in the world, do I get paid for that if I go to the UK?

Just curious.

Man, if I can make a living out of being anti-social, I'd move to the UK for that!

Oh wait... you said "unsocial." Nevermind.

So why would you want to leave the good ol' USA?

that pay for a Paramedic would be in pounds anmd the basic pay rates quoted exclude unsocial hours payments and are based arounda 37.5 hour working week

What the heck are unsocial hours?

Are those the hours that they are mean and nasty to the patients and they get paid to be unsocial???? I've worked with some of the most unsocial people in the world, do I get paid for that if I go to the UK?

I'm guessing they havent had their cup of tea, or perhaps they turn into werewolfs after 6pm.

either 1900 -0700 or 2000-0600 weekedays depending on the exact unsocial hours agreement in use (AFC prospective or whitely retrospective) and all day saturday, sunday and public holidays

if you are on a whitley retrospective unsocial hours agreeemnt any shift where more than half the shift fallsinto an unsocial hours period is paid at unsocial hours rates in total ( e.g. if i do a 1600 -0200 - the whole shift is paid as unsocials becasue 6 of the 10 hours are after 2000)

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.