20cc syringe and an ammonia inhalant

buckeyedoc

A crew I work with was transporting an "unconcious" person to the ER. The pt. took 2 IV sticks without flinching. When the got to the ER, the doc put an ammonia inhalant into a 20cc syringe and "bolused" the nostril w/ the contents of the ammonia inhalant. Apparantly, the patient WAS faking and immediatly woke up. Thoughts????

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what they call Doc's that do that ?......................................Defendant.

Seriously, I know a medic that "popped" a few caps and placed them into a BVM and blew into the patient. Since then he lost his license, prosecuted for attempted manslaughter, etc... you get the hint, sine the patient was treated for ammonia inhalation, and NO medical literature, that was found cited that as treatment...

R/r 911

I know of an EENT doctor who surgically removed 3 ammonia inhalants from a patients sinus cavities. The medic involved was also what is known in Legalize lingo "Defendant".

A crew I work with was transporting an "unconcious" person to the ER. The pt. took 2 IV sticks without flinching. When the got to the ER, the doc put an ammonia inhalant into a 20cc syringe and "bolused" the nostril w/ the contents of the ammonia inhalant. Apparantly, the patient WAS faking and immediatly woke up. Thoughts????

If that were me as the pt, I would simply own a doctor!

Correct me if Im wrong here (and Im sure someone will!) ... but amonia inhalation is a BAD thing. Even on a bottle of amonia, or cleaners that have amonia in them (like Windex) CLEARLY states to use in a 'well ventillated place'...could that be that concentrated amonia vapors aren't good for you?

Amonia is even listed in the yellow Hazmat books and shows a MINIMUM of a mile evactuation downwind.

They should have went for the EJ.

• 1 year later...
Thoughts????

OUCH!!!

I'd always found the old hand-drop-to-the-face trick works good enough. Or the attempting to open the eye lid.

didn't you read any of the above replies. This is not a good idea to put ammonia in any enclosed piece of equipment like a BVM or a NRB mask.

Makes you become a defendant if the patient decides to push it.

It works just as well if you just crack the inhalant and put it under their nose. At least you can quickly remove it if you wave it under their noses. If you put it in a nrb mask you risk two things.

an increase in resp distress as well as ammonia burns by the ammonia getting on the facial skin.

putting an ammonia inhalant in a nrb mask could feasibly cause them to aspirate that inhalant and then you are in REALLY DEEP CACA.

I have always said..."Why wake them at all?"

After doing a complete assessment, checking BGL, vitals, etc and determining them to be faking...why continue to mess with them?

I never do, I just let them lay there, talk to them, check their vitals, but never saw the purpose in making them become "awake". I save all that drama for the ER...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.