• Create Account
Current Chat Room Users
0 users are in Room 1:

Come check out the updated chat room.  Any member can use the chat.  Just click the "Chat Room" menu item.

Photo
- - - - -

Calcium Chloride + Atropine

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#6 chbare

chbare
  • Elite Members
  • 3,218 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 August 2006 - 01:51 AM

Ffmedic9588, atropine may be considered in the rare event of succ OD. (Repeated doses would be the most common cause) In most cases succ causes what is caused a phase I block. Or the typical depolarizing block we all know and love. Succ attaches at the neuromuscular junction in place of acetylcholine and causes the muscle to depolarize and stay in that state. Hence, the faciculations we all talk about with succ. In cases of succ OD this phase I block may take on superficial characteristics of a phase II block. Or a non depolarizing type block. Non depolarizers attach at the junction in place of AcH, but do not cause the muscle to depolarize. Rather, they prevent depolarization. So, in succ OD we may have a pseudo phase II block. In cases of this block, we may need to give an anticholinesterase medication such as neostigmine. If we give neostigmine, we need to anticipate anticholenesterase type side effects. So, we may need to give an anticholinergic such as atropine to combat these side effects. A WORD OF CAUTION!! Phase II block must be verified and confirmed because if we have a prolonged phase I block and we give neostigmine, we have just complicated our problems 10 fold. Verification of a phase II block requires peripheral nerve stimulation, and I would advise against following your protocol in the field.

I hope this helps.

Take care,
chbare.

#7 vs-eh?

vs-eh?
  • Members
  • 718 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 August 2006 - 01:54 AM

Succs is a different class of drug than the -croniums, as it is a DEPORALZIING NMB. It would make more sense (esp. for peds) to pre-treat with atropine (because of heightened vagal response period, regardless of laryngealscopy). I guess atropine could be the reversal (I don't remember) it kinda makes sense...

#8 chbare

chbare
  • Elite Members
  • 3,218 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 August 2006 - 02:22 AM

I may not have articulated my response very well. I just finished a little research and found a link that explains the action of succ.

http://www.rxmed.com...)/ANECTINE.html

Take care,
chbare.

#9 Beagle189

Beagle189
  • Members
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:Family
Neutral

Posted 21 August 2006 - 02:32 PM

Focus, I can't add any more on the meds that the others have already posted but as far as your statement about reading and researching over your level, LORD I wish my EMT partners would have that kind of ambition. Nothing wrong about learning more on Meds and treatment. Keep your education going, weather you stay an EMT or become a Paramedic.

#10 iMac

iMac
  • Chat Room Moderator
  • 511 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:05 PM

Thank you very much :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users