Stryker Power-PRO cots

I have not used either the Power-Pro or the Ferno so my views may be skewed. Our neighboring agency has the Stryker and had to call a 2nd unit during a CPR in progress call because the batteries went dead and no one on scene could manually move the stretcher with the patient on it. Plus the stretchers are heavier all the time, even when you don't need the power assist. I have been against them from the beginning and this simply re-enforced my opinion.

EMS personnel need to be able to lift. If you have any situation (including large pts.) where you need additional manpower or equipment, call for it and call early. IMO powered cots have a place on bariatric or other specialized units but for your every day rig it is just one more thing to go wrong when Murphy comes calling. Most public safety jobs have some sort of physical requirements to perform the job. EMS is no different. You have to be able to lift, and smart enough to a) know your limitations and :) understand body mechanics and lift correctly.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not used either the Power-Pro or the Ferno so my views may be skewed. Our neighboring agency has the Stryker and had to call a 2nd unit during a CPR in progress call because the batteries went dead and no one on scene could manually move the stretcher with the patient on it. Plus the stretchers are heavier all the time, even when you don't need the power assist. I have been against them from the beginning and this simply re-enforced my opinion.

They and anyone else on that scene must have been idiots. If its red on a stryker it moves something. The power cots are very reliable. If the battery dies grab the freakin red handle and lift it or lower it just like any other cot. I hate that my new service is still changing over so I being newer usually get a truck with the reg stryker. I hate the extra wear and tear on my back and knees. Why would anyone not use something that honors the first rule of EMS MY SAFETY?

Once you go power pro stryker you don't go back.....All you guys in the above threads that are haters continue wearing your back out....I'm with spenac, I'll continue to use my power pro and let the hydraulics do the lifting...623

Once you go power pro stryker you don't go back....
We tried them out, and didn't like them.

All this talk of back injuries seems to ignore the fact that even with the power pro, heavy lifting is still involved. Such as getting the patient onto the device in the first place, or taking the weight on the back of the ambulance while the wheels retract (sometimes painfully slower than with the non electric variety due to the awful battery life).

It does have its pluses which are self-evident, and is a move in the right direction, but it is by no means "gold standard". That would involve a substantial change in ambulance design.

As far as the non electrical variety go, only a fool would attempt to lift more that they are comfortable with.

All this talk of back injuries seems to ignore the fact that even with the power pro, heavy lifting is still involved. Such as getting the patient onto the device in the first place, or taking the weight on the back of the ambulance while the wheels retract .

Did you use both crew members to hold the stretcher? One person on each side of the stretcher = 1/2 the weight one has to hold. Work smarter, not harder.

All this talk of back injuries seems to ignore the fact that even with the power pro, heavy lifting is still involved. Such as getting the patient onto the device in the first place, or taking the weight on the back of the ambulance while the wheels retract (sometimes painfully slower than with the non electric variety due to the awful battery life).

It does have its pluses which are self-evident, and is a move in the right direction, but it is by no means "gold standard". That would involve a substantial change in ambulance design.

As far as the non electrical variety go, only a fool would attempt to lift more that they are comfortable with.

Jake gives good advice have both holding. Or use the red handle if your impatient. Honestly ours raises just about as fast as old stryker using partner to lift wheels.

To all of you against them.... how do you just ignore all of these services who report such dramatic reductions in back injuries with them?

Because, they do not realize it is not the "heavy lifts" that usually injures the EMT. It is the repetition of up and down. No one has even mentioned safety to the patient. There is NO multiple levels of the stretcher not catching or in-between levels, simply whatever level you choose.

Sorry, old Ferno's and multiple level folding cots will be a thing in the past in about five years. Workmen's comp insurance will see to that. From an old medic, that prefer not to ever have something "fused" .. I much rather have the additional few pounds to roll around.

In part of the cot not working because of dead batteries... I agree they were idiots as well. I have worked the cot many times without even a battery in it! As well, I never use the "power" to unload, rather allow the wheels to drop down naturally and it saves the battery time.

Sorry, I've seen a lot and worked on a lot in the past 31 years, and I will attest next to CPAP it is one of the best tools... shame we did not have them decades ago.. there would be less medics with scars....

R/r 911

We are a private transfer service and we put these stretchers on every truck. They are heavier but after a few days of retraining everyone that when loading pt into the unit both are to be at the end of the stretcher not just one then they see the benefit. They are very expensive but they are still much cheaper than having an employee hurt and having to pay medical bills and time lost. I dont think it is a matter of being lazy or not being able to do your job if you use these stretchers. It is simply a matter of using resources to make your job easier.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.