Stupid things you've said on calls

chazmedic

Fortunately this was only during training but it was dumb enough that I should have caught it. 3 of us were working in the simulation lab and I was the comm officer; they start hollering vitals at me (respiratory distress- our "patient" was a local medic from the FD playing along with us) and I relay them to "medical control" (my instructor) to get an authorization for something, I don't remember what it was for exactly, I think it was the "patient's" nitro.

"Yes, we have a 46 y/o male, c/o dyspnea and crushing chest pain; hx of cardiac problems, has a prescription for nitroglycerin and I am calling for authorization to administer"

"Could I have some more information please?"

"Yes, patient is AAOX4, no allergies, no other meds, BP is 140/90, pulse is 88, respirations are 124"

"Could you quit talking to me and start bagging your patient? What do you mean resps are 124?"

Look at my partner... "hey, "Bob"... what are his respirations? "

"ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY FOUR AND HE JUST FELL OVER"

At this point we just ran it like a code, but I got reamed for not thinking about that respiration number and my "partner" got reamed for multiplying by a number other than 4. I don't know what he multiplied by... 8 or something. He just wanted to be a FF anyway (really and truly, he was only in the basic course because he had to be- great guy, he's going to be a really nice FF someday!)

So far, that's the outright dumbest thing I've said... *knocks on wood*

Wendy

CO EMT-B

MI EMT-B

At this point we just ran it like a code, but I got reamed for not thinking about that respiration number and my "partner" got reamed for multiplying by a number other than 4. I don't know what he multiplied by... 8 or something. He just wanted to be a FF anyway (really and truly, he was only in the basic course because he had to be- great guy, he's going to be a really nice FF someday!)

Because there's only one way to count reps?

No, lol... you can do it any way you want to I guess as long as you don't end up with a really stupid answer like 124... OBVIOUSLY our instructor was not breathing that fast. Personally I prefer the 30 seconds x 2 method. We were taught 15 seconds X 4... and somehow my classmate got screwed up and ended up with a realllly odd number that should have registered with me before I relayed it. He got yelled at because he counted for 15 seconds and didn't multiply by 4. Or maybe he got reamed because he got an illogical answer and didn't double check. I wasn't there for all of his chastisement. :P

That answer the question?

Wendy

CO EMT-B

MI EMT-B

• 4 weeks later...

I just came back to work after being off 4 months and a little out of the loop. I was calling in a class 1 to the hospital..... Enroute with approx 20 some Y/O M suicide class 1, CPR in progress ect. ect. The Doc comes back and asks, "Whats the Blood Pressure?" Holding the mic in my hand confused for a moment. I responded, "He doesn't have one."

Old appartment, X-Mas two years ago.. The grand-Pa collapsed into flatline on the x-mas dinner... We responded, with us (as ususal here) an emergency physican.

After over an hour CPR we decided to declare him.

The physican to the hole family, which was standing around most of the CPR: You will be laughing. But Your GranPa's dead!

OWWWHHHH...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.