Barely failed PAT. Short girl:(

Hi everyone,

I just want some tips other than continue working out. I am a semi-new EMT and just did my AMR PAT. I got through all of it easily until I had to reload the 165 lb stretcher. To get it in I have to lift above my shoulders or get some extra strength. For reference, I am 5 foot 1" and 108 lbs. I will retest when I am scheduled but would appreciate some tips. Thank you. 

I am allowed to, I'm trying to figure out what work outs, other than just bench pressing, I can do to improve my quality for the PAT and reality. The weight is not bad until I get to my shoulders with the gurney. 

Without knowing specifics as to your situation please consider working with a trainer.  A good, reputable trainer will listen to what your needs/goals are and will be able to tailor a workout to achieve that goal.  They'll do so safely while attempting to minimize your risk for injury.

Some of the physically toughest providers I've worked with have been smaller women like yourself.  You can do it.  It's just a matter of getting it done and not quitting on the physical gains you'll make while prepping for the test.

I am planning on seeing a Trainer four times a week starting in two days. I am still technically healing from a knee dislocation (10 months ago) due to patient battery. :/ I want to be able to be productive on a rig. Any training to pass this and gain insight on handling equipment at my height is my goal. I was able to unload the weight on the gurney and hold it for 5 seconds no problem. Lifting it up seems more quad related which may be why I struggled. Thank you for your advice :)

There is a specific machine in most gyms that is an arms strengthening machine.  It looks like a bench press but it's in a standing position.  You could use that machine to guage your strength and then work to increase.  

IT might be the shoulder press machine.  I'd have to go to a gym (nope homey don't play that game) and look at exactly what the name of the machine is.  

But look to this link and then go to page 2 and then to the shoulder press picture

http://www.fitlink.com/exercises?type=machine&body_part=arms&page=2

27 minutes ago, Just Plain Ruff said:

There is a specific machine in most gyms that is an arms strengthening machine.  It looks like a bench press but it's in a standing position.  You could use that machine to guage your strength and then work to increase.  

IT might be the shoulder press machine.  I'd have to go to a gym (nope homey don't play that game) and look at exactly what the name of the machine is.  

But look to this link and then go to page 2 and then to the shoulder press picture

http://www.fitlink.com/exercises?type=machine&body_part=arms&page=2

That would help a lot, thank you. I was able to initially unload the gurney so it seems to be a problem with lifting for me :( hopefully I find a gym out here that suits my needs. Ideally I would like to go to a fire fighter academy type facility, like the great ape- but you have to be invited -.- I have not yet gotten a call with a date to retest. Once finals are done next week all of my energy is going into training. Thankfully the group I tested with (separately of course) were very supportive after seeing me complete the other tasks. :)

• 1 month later...

Us 'horizontally challenged' women in EMS have encountered that difficulty since I started....lol....I am a lifetime EMS'r who is 5'1 and 1/4" :)  and weight range of 105 to 130 throughout my 25+ years career~~one of the biggest things I would say to you right now is "Get yourself a back brace and wear it religiously!" You will thank yourself when you are a tad older and lifting a grandchild.....your back will thank you for it as well! 

Thousands of petitions to the manufacturers requesting that they locate ambulance boxes closer to street level never worked for me so I had to continue strength training my entire career instead ;)....good luck and let us know how you are doing!

5 minutes ago, ClutzyEMT said:

Us 'horizontally challenged' women in EMS have encountered that difficulty since I started....lol....I am a lifetime EMS'r who is 5'1 and 1/4" :)  and weight range of 105 to 130 throughout my 25+ years career~~one of the biggest things I would say to you right now is "Get yourself a back brace and wear it religiously!" You will thank yourself when you are a tad older and lifting a grandchild.....your back will thank you for it as well! 

Thousands of petitions to the manufacturers requesting that they locate ambulance boxes closer to street level never worked for me so I had to continue strength training my entire career instead ;)....good luck and let us know how you are doing!

I passed my PAT Friday! Thank you for the backbrace advice. I know this line of work is rough on the body. It is nice to know there are other successful horizontally challenged women out there in this field:)