Construction Worker EMT

Bigb64

Hey all!

quick question, I work in construction and am currently in an EMT class. Once I get my EMT cert, what is my liability / duty to act if someone gets hurt and requires first aid on the job site?? I will most likely be the job site "First Aid Coordinator" any advise or knowledge will be greatly appreciated!!

Even with a certification you're not able to do anymore than any other person unless you're working under protocols and a physician. 

If someone is sick or injured you control bleeding, perform CPR, or whatever the emergent need is while waiting for EMS. 

Thanks for the reply!! So basically I guess what I am trying to figure out and by what you've just told me is, if I do basic first aid or CPR and nothing more advanced than that i.e. airway mgmt or along those lines and await EMS to arrive on scene I fulfilled my duty to act. I would not be working under protocols or a physician. 

First off do NOT let your job site trick you into thinking that "First Aid Coordinator" is more than what it is, "first aid"  you aren't going to be that guy who will save the day and perform all those cool procedures that you learned in class.  Unless like MedicGirl said, unless your company wants to employ a medical director, write a bunch of protocols and all that jazz, all you are going to be able to do is what's in that first aid kit and CPR.  

If you go doing all that fun stuff you learned and put yourself out as an emt and doing things that an EMT can do but without someone backing you, you put liability on you and on your company.  Bad mojo ya know.  

Stick with basic first aid and CPR until EMS gets there.  It's great that you want to help but for your company to put you at risk legally is pretty poor form.  If they do make you First Aid Coordinator, get your SOP's in writing and make sure what you can and cannot do is just basic first aid.  If they are expecting that you act in the manner of an EMT then they need to be paying you those types of wages as well as following the State you live in guidelines.  You might want to contact the state to discuss what you can and cannot do on the job site.  

just my 2 cents, not really worth 2 cents but based on the current exchange rate of the dollar to dinar.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.