Considering career change

Not new to the site just decided to make a new account because I haven't discussed this with anyone yet. I'm strongly considering a Change in careers. I'm currently a firefighter paramedic  and worked as a firefighter emt prior to that. I'm young in my mid 20s, but I got hired very young. I used to love my job and couldn't believe I got paid to go to work; however lately it's really caused me a lot of anxiety and depression. From pediatric codes to burnt out partners I've hit a rough patch and I'm not completely convinced that i want to continue this job for 30 more years. I work in a very busy area. I'm considering moving south and attempting to get on a department that does not transport. I'm torn because I do like being a paramedic and I'm affraid I'll miss it. I graduated top of my class in the academy and have a strong resume. Kinda just lost at the moment. I've found myself jealous of friends that work the normal 9-5 and leave work at work. Anyone else gone through a similar thing during their career? Am I crazy to consider selling the house and moving somewhere cheaper and more relaxed? Should I consider leaving EMS in general for a different career path?  

• Thanks 1

Brother/Sister, I have done that. It's liberating but was terrifying at the time I did it.  I left EMS for IT consulting and I was scared whitless.  I remained at my EMS job part time but in the end, I mostly retired and have not been happier.  

Have you thought about finding work with a smaller rural service that is less busy yet provides patient care/transport/benefits of a small service?

Sometimes a break is all you need.  6 months to do something different.  Do you have the means just to travel the country?  

Trust me, EMS will not die without you working in it for a year or so!!!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Tough problem but you are young and have time to work it out.  Decide what is most important to you and your family and develop a strategy to improve your situation.  The strategy may involve moving to a different area or gaining a new level of education and moving to a new career.  Many years ago, I was an athletic trainer in the NFL and many thought I had it made but I was bored.  I switched careers and went into nursing and the nurse anesthesia and couldn't be happier.  I have lunch on occasion with some athletic trainer friends and they complain of low pay and long hours and I think:  "Boy, isn't it nice to get time and a half for anything over 40 hours!"

Point is, nobody can tell you what to do or how to do it.  Figure out what you are passionate about and then pursue that dream.  You may have some rocky moments but the end result will be worthwhile.

Good luck.

Spock

May the tube (and future) be with you. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I agree with Ruff, Sometimes all you need is a break.This job can take a big toll on all of us at times. It'll all work out in the end. Perhaps maybe finding another option that you can see yourself doing for the long term while volunteering. Just another suggestion. 

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Thing about burnout is.. its a smoldering fire yearning to become a flashover. You may not notice it until you are in it, and by then you are helpless to stop it. You should take a break and by break I mean do something else for 5-10 years, and if you still want to do this, it will still be there. It will always be there, waiting to take a bite out of you, taking everything you have and giving nothing back.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 1 year later...
On 6/14/2017 at 2:57 AM, Bluemedic said:

Not new to the site just decided to make a new account because I haven't discussed this with anyone yet. I'm strongly considering a Change in careers. I'm currently a firefighter paramedic  and worked as a firefighter emt prior to that. I'm young in my mid 20s, but I got hired very young. I used to love my job and couldn't believe I got paid to go to work; however lately it's really caused me a lot of anxiety and depression. From pediatric codes to burnt out partners I've hit a rough patch and I'm not completely convinced that i want to continue this job for 30 more years. I work in a very busy area. I'm considering moving south and attempting to get on a department that does not transport. I'm torn because I do like being a paramedic and I'm affraid I'll miss it. I graduated top of my class in the academy and have a strong resume. Kinda just lost at the moment. I've found myself jealous of friends that work the normal 9-5 and leave work at work. Anyone else gone through a similar thing during their career? Am I crazy to consider selling the house and moving somewhere cheaper and more relaxed? Should I consider leaving EMS in general for a different career path?  

Changes in a career are a good idea only if you change your type of job to a higher-level and more highly paid one. If you want to change your job, then I advise you to look at the site https://jobsforeditors.com/managing-editor-job-description.html with a managing editor job description and a senior editor job description in order to choose for yourself a job that will be more intellectual and highly paid.

I myself have been through this....twice. I can tell you I have "retired" from EMS twice, and went back twice. My take away is that you may need a break, extended variety, but a break. Consider a LOA before quitting altogether. It has done wonders for me. I hope you can find yours. Best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2019 at 3:12 AM, Mary Blair said:

Changes in a career are a good idea only if you change your type of job to a higher-level and more highly paid one. If you want to change your job, then I advise you to look at the site https://jobsforeditors.com/managing-editor-job-description.html with a managing editor job description and a senior editor job description in order to choose for yourself a job that will be more intellectual and highly paid.

Where did you get the idea that he was looking to become a managing editor?  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.