Lili

Emergency Services Tribute Video

This video was awful.  

Not to be a debbie downer but this seems like someone just took a bunch of PR pictures of Minnesota agencies and put together a PR video and I didn't get much out of this.

And honestly, what the hell are all these thin blue, yellow, orange, silver and purple lines.  Aren't we all one line for fallen members.  To have separate lines for each branch of agencies just in my opinion separates us further.  

This video just cheapens our service and was very poorly done.  

Just my 2 cents.  

Edited by Just Plain Ruff

Apologies, but I do not know your expectations, so I don't know exactly what you are looking for. But I am trying to see from your side and I see how you think the separate lines are separating personnel further. 

As well as the fact that I am not EMT yet, and am counting down until the state age for training in EMT provider. That also I was making the video trying to show my appreciation to Emergency Service Providers. I was not sure what all I could use due to copyright standards and so forth, yet instead just put together [Like on some other videos] and added music I thought corresponded with the personnel. 

Not trying to get defensive or anything, it's just the way you'll choose to read this message--- same for as I did yours. 

This was your video that you made?

Ok, step back on my end.  I went back and watched it again.  I may have been a bit harsh, I thought that this was a video that was put together by a professional and you had linked it.  I did not realize that you had put it together on your own.  

that being said, I still did not like it completely but this puts it in a different perspective.  From a amateur perspective, knowing that now, it's more palatable.  I think that you are on a good start but here's my criticisms.  

1.  the pictures like I said look like they are stock pictures from each agencies web sites and I don't remember seeing individual credit to the agencies which might get you in trouble but probably not.  

2.  the timing in between each picture is short, a little longer would be better.  It was very fast between pictures.  

3.  Get rid of the thin blue, thin red, thin pink, thin orange lines.  I think they are counter productive.  Is there such a thing as These lines out there that are established and recognized, such as "thin gold line" for fallen dispatchers?  I have never heard of such a thing as these lines so that's where I may need to be more knowledgeable in my mind. Maybe there needs to be but again, I think that these "lines" do nothing other than divide us, we are "ONE" and there is only ONE line.  I also disagree with the "thin blue line" but that's a cop thing and we aren't cops.  Again, that's just me.  

I give you credit for your enthusiasm and I'm not in any way telling you to NOT put this out there,  And the opinions that come out of my mouth on to computer keyboard are simply my own.  Please do not take what I have said personally, as this was not meant to be personal.  

I just want to give Lili a pat on the back for standing up to your criticism. It was pretty harsh, but the OP didn't run away with his/her tail between the legs like many newbies do. 

Good for you Lili. Stick around, you may learn something or you may teach us oldies but goodies a few things.

• Like 1

medicgirl, you are right, it was pretty harsh, but I was under the impression that it was a professionally linked video and that's why it was so harsh.  I expected more out of a professionally done video.  Now that I know it was not done by a professional, I feel that I can be a bit softer in my criticism.  

I hope that after taking a step back and looking at it from a different lens, which I did and I have now offered her some more constructive criticisms, that it's less harsh so to speak.  

I hope that she understands that there was no malice or offense intended but I'm sure that some may have taken it as a malicious attack which if anyone who has been on this forum longer than a week knows, I'm not like that at all.  

I also applaud her for her standing up to me, and letting me so to speak "have it" just like medicGirl let me have it as well.  

I am no where near perfect and can always be fed a piece of humble pie but I do stand by two things on this video

1.  If it was put together by a professional then my original view would stand

2.  Since it was not put together by a professional and put together by one who put a lot of effort in to this, my new review stands and I urge Lili to keep up with her efforts and keep on working on polishing this video.  

Reviews are just that reviews, not everyone will like what you put out, many will, others will kind of like it.  It's up to you to decide what to do with those reviews.  keep on trucking or turn tail and run.  I hope that you keep on trucking and say screw you to the naysayers and endeavor to show those naysayers that you can blow them away with an even better product than you put out the first time.  

Case in point,  I wrote about 20 short Robbie the Fire Truck books for my son.  My son loved em.  My wife not so much.  I put them away for about 10 years.  I took them out, revised them for my girls and my wife loves em now.  I'm getting ready to self publish them as soon as I find a artist to illustrate them.  I hope to have them published as a learn to read set of books.  The initial reviews of the books by my wife were horrible and I nearly never showed them again but I decided to do it and now I think they are publishable.  

You never know what you can do if you stop because of a bad review like the one I gave you initially.  

I am looking forward to seeing your updated video.  I hope there is one.  

• Like 1

I did not take anything personally, nor got angry or anything of that nature, I am glad I got feedback and suggestion because it will help for future reference and that is why I did post this in this forum. 

And I like how you wrote your son those books, and are hoping to get them published, that is great! 

Also, I am fine with the review first done, although it may have seemed harsh (at first reading it was, but then I told myself to see from your perspective and I saw where you were coming from). So thank-you. 

Lastly, yes, another video will be made (not sure finish date yet, but hopefully soon). 

Edited by Lili

I'm looking forward to that updated video.  I"m sure that it will be a good one.  

Keep on striving for greatness, I'm sure you will get better with each passing moment.  

Just remember, Thomas Edison made many many versions of the light bulb before the one that we have now.  It took lots of tries.

I for one do not have the patience to do a video like that one, so I commend you.  Looking forward to version 2.0

• Like 1

Oh goodness. Ruff I wasn't critiqueing you at all. I had the same thoughts after watching the video without any explanation. I just was glad that for a change someone stuck around to defend themselves. I know you aren't a harsh person. 

My point was more that in this field we come across criticism A LOT, and we have to be able to handle that. I feel Lili handled it well. 

Sorry it didn't come across in my first post. Hopefully this helped. 

• Like 1

Oh yeah,  but you are right, she handled it like a pro.  

But you were right, it was pretty harsh at first, but later it was softer.  

I'm not bad, I'm just drawn bad.  (what movie????)

Edited by Just Plain Ruff
  • Like 1