Hello & questions

Rexanne

Hello EMT community. My name is Rexanne. I have just finished my EMT training and passed my NREMT. I am in hopes of networking and learning about the industry as a whole.  

If I may, I would like to begin with asking a newbie question. What does the typical schedule look like for a brand unexperienced "new hire"? I realizes that each company will have there own protocol. If you will, offer a general flow of new hires. Thanks!

I also would like to move into the private sector and work for traveling companies. Does any one have any experience with international companies who hire EMT's for nature trips?

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to learning. 

Scheduling depends on what kind of service you work for. In my area 911 providers work a 24 on/48 off shift or 48/96. Private services around me usually staff a couple 12 hour trucks, a 16 hour truck, and a couple 24 hour trucks. Again, it all depends on where you are and what you want.

International work...I don't know anything about nature trips, but most oils field and contract military stuff is for seasoned paramedics. 

Whatever you decide to do good luck to you! And, from an old seasoned medic, make sure you find healthy ways to destress before you are too far in. This is a hard job and it takes a toll over the years.

• Like 1

Thank you medicigirl05.

I kind of knew that it would all depend. I also kind of assume that there is seniority and that most newbie's will work holidays and weekends. 

Yes, I understand that this work does take a toll on the body and mind. 

I am actually looking for work in the back country. I will be getting my WEMT next. 

Thanks again! 

As far as holidays and weekends, everywhere I've worked it just depends how the days fall. I sometimes joke because I haven't had a New Years Eve off in 10 years. In the beginning it was hard to work holidays, but then my coworkers were like family and we developed our own holiday traditions. Last year for Christmas we all made an Italian dish that we brought and enjoyed together between calls. Also, for the most part holidays aren't usually busy...but the calls you do run tend to be very serious.

Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, working holidays can be tough. And, yes, I can agree that you become family with your co workers. I felt that when I did a rotation with a fire house. 

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.