Denial

I have never worked anywhere(I'm in south Texas) that you could absolutely refuse to transport anyone. We could suggest they wait and see there PCP, or drive themselves to the ER; but ultimately if the patient wanted to be transported we had to do that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2017 at 3:47 AM, babyrhino said:

Hello Guys I am new on this site and I hope that it will be helpful to me- I was wondering at what time (if ever) it is ok to deny PT transport to a 911 caller if the condition of the caller seems stable? 

Our service will never deny transport but patients can be triaged directly to the waiting room when appropriate (immediately freeing up the crew without them needing to speak to any hospital staff). I suspect the next step may become refusal of service but that becomes a liability nightmare.

why are you asking?  There has to be a reason.  There are really only a couple of reasons why people with 0 posts come here and ask this question

1.  you had it happen to you

2.  You had it happen to you

3.  you had it happen to a friend or a loved one

4.  1 or 2 or 3 happened and something bad happened as an outcome and you are here to get our expert opinion so you can now call an attorney and sue the hell out of that ambulance service 

5.  None of the above and you are just curious or starting out in EMS and you have an enquiring mind.  

My bet is on #4  so I'm not saying anything that will help you until you tell us more about why you are asking.  

Edited by Just Plain Ruff
  • Like 2