New, from Kansas

Btittel

Hello everyone!  Brandon here... I was 3 weeks from testing for my EMT Cert, when life threw a curve ball and I had to drop.  

Father was an EMT back in the 70's/early 80's. He helped form our fire/rescue here in town.  I know enough to be useful, but not trained enough to take the lead.

I have a few (million) questions, and not sure where they should go.  

1) Are these worth buying for an addition to a "Emergency vehicle bag"?

"Emergency & critical care pocket guide"

"Emt field guide, ALS version."

2) Anyone have recommendations if the above texts aren't the best? If anybody has other recommendations, I would greatly appreciate your input!....

Note: I'm not planning on going to be a non-certified (dangerous idiot) rogue EMT or anything. My primary function will always be keeping other people out of EMS' way, and doing what I can to help and not hinder.

Better yet, My wife has multiple medical issues and is a  bilateral below knee amputee. So if a situation occurs where I need to help my wife or self....Would these references useful?

So, basically- I'm needing references for good pocket guides or cheat sheets. Good quick reference material/study tools to help me get certified.

Discussion and input is welcome here!

Sorry for all that, but thank you in advance. :)

Nice to meet you! I'm a broke-ass college student. Not in EMS or anything. 

Probably best if you put your questions in "Patient care" questions under the question section of the forum. 

As an EMT and paramedic I always carried a field guide. In the beginning I used it every once in a while, but then it was just part of my uniform. It made me feel better having it even though I probably didn't use it in the last 5 years or so...

When I did use it it was more for looking up medications...of course smart phones weren't really a thing back then.

It doesn't hurt to carry one, but they make some good field guide phone apps these days I hear. 

Get certified first though, don't get in too far without that certification.

Yeah, I'm planning on going to the next class.  I was so close last time, just had a few hours of ride time and then go take the tests. 

I am sorry if it's a miss placed topic, I didn't think to put it there.   Just figured why not ask a quick question while introducing myself, lol.

Edited by Btittel
Hit the button before I was ready

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.