Can one work anywhere in Canada and how about the USA

Jihadi_Jerry

Great news everyone! 

I am looking to become a PCP. I am currently in Toronto, and it looks like there are a lot of colleges for paramedics here. I am from Vancouver BC. There is a nice school there, Justice Institution of BC. 

My question is: If I get training in Ontario, does that mean I can only work in Ontario? And if I get trained in BC , does that mean I can only work in BC? Or is it good for all of Canada ? 

Also, I have a dual citizenship for US. Can I work in the USA as well? Or would I have to retake the program? 

Also, I want to work in a city, not some Shitville. Is it extremely hard to land a job in big cities ? 

Thanks for your answers ?

Great news everyone he's going to be a PCP, but I have an issue with one thing,  I didn't work in a city and I didn't consider where I worked "shitville".  You win the contest for most insulting comment for your first post.    

I don't know about the Canada thing but you will need to get your National Registry in the USA to work here as a medic.  

Plus, AWESOME user name, and yes that was sarcasm.  

• Like 1

I really needed this laugh. I've always worked in "shitville" apparently...funny thing is I've never known it. Actually, I've worked in 3 different "shitvilles" but I have trouble locating "shitville" on a map. 

I don't know much about Canada...what does "PCP" mean? It  is obviously some sort of paramedic, but here it means Primary Care Provider.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings from Shitsville.

Several years ago the Paramedic Association of Canada developed what is called the National Occupational Competency Profiles. The NOCPs provide a recommended scope of practise on a national scale for each provider designation. Most of the provincial registration bodies have adopted the NOCPs.

PCP = Primary Care Paramedic. They possess a scope including blind insertion airways, manual defib, IV starts, and a few meds like Narcan, D50, Epi for anaphylaxis, Salbutamol, Gravol, foley insertion, and a few more.

ACP = Advanced Care Paramedic. Pretty comparable to the EMT-P, Endotracheal intubation, ACLS, PALS, antibiotics in sepsis, transport ventilators, opiates for pain, and so on.

CCP - Critical Care Paramedic. Typically your flight folks. Surgical Crics, sutures, invasive monitoring, central lines, etc.

The provinces signed an interprovincial labour mobility agreement which means that any paramedic training from an approved CMA accredited school can be hired in any province. However there may be some provinces that will require a small amount of remedial training.

I suggest you consider an occupation in the field of Fire Truck Driver, from your first post I don't think you have what it takes to be an Ambulance Driver.

Edit:

Oh, and it's called the Justice Institute of British Columbia. Not the Justice Institution of BC.

Edited by Arctickat

18 hours ago, Arctickat said:

Greetings from Shitsville.

I suggest you consider an occupation in the field of Fire Truck Driver, from your first post I don't think you have what it takes to be an Ambulance Driver.

Edit:

Oh, and it's called the Justice Institute of British Columbia. Not the Justice Institution of BC.

Are you sure he would be accepted into the field of Fire Truck Driver,  maybe the field of Haircut chair driver school would be better for the OP.  He can work anywhere other than shitsville.  

• Like 1

On 11/25/2016 at 10:13 AM, Jihadi_Jerry said:

Great news everyone! 

I am looking to become a PCP. I am currently in Toronto, and it looks like there are a lot of colleges for paramedics here. I am from Vancouver BC. There is a nice school there, Justice Institution of BC. 

My question is: If I get training in Ontario, does that mean I can only work in Ontario? And if I get trained in BC , does that mean I can only work in BC? Or is it good for all of Canada ? 

Also, I have a dual citizenship for US. Can I work in the USA as well? Or would I have to retake the program? 

Also, I want to work in a city, not some Shitville. Is it extremely hard to land a job in big cities ? 

Thanks for your answers ?

Let me rephrase this for you. "I would like to live in an urban centre. Will it be possible for me to obtain employment in an urban centre as a PCP?" See what I did there? I asked the same question without insulting every rural Canadian citizen reading your post. If you want to be a paramedic of any variety you'd best drop the attitude.

To answer your question yes it is possible to port your credentials province to province. It's called agreement in trade and is actually signed into federal law that applies to nearly all professions not just paramedics (something you could easily have discovered on your own with yellow belt google fu). As ArcticCat mentioned, there are still a few snafus due to variation in provincial practice standards. 

http://www.ait-aci.ca/labour-mobility/

Before you go to all that trouble however, I think a little more reading on what a paramedic actually is would be in your best interest. This should give you a bit of a broad overview.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paramedics_in_Canada

• Like 1

Great news everyone! 

I really appreciate all your feed backs and advice. I know some of you were offended by my remarks about Shitsville. As a man who has lived in every major city in north america, and has stopped in every town between, I can confidently say that most of it is shit. It's tuff to hear but, "you can't change what you don't acknowledge !" - Dr. Phil 

I am glad to know that I can work all through out Canada. 

On 12/9/2016 at 4:41 PM, Arctickat said:

I'm not sure what's so confusing about it ? I mean....BC is not referring to "Before Christ" or "Brown Corn" ......British Columbia! 

Sorry about confusing y'all ...thought it was a no-brainer 

Actually, braniac, I was referencing the second word. An institution is a prison, an institute is a school. Jesus I'm glad I own my companies in Shitsville so I won't see your application for employment cross my desk.

On 11/27/2016 at 0:34 AM, Ruffmeister Paramedic said:

Great news everyone he's going to be a PCP, but I have an issue with one thing,  I didn't work in a city and I didn't consider where I worked "shitville".  You win the contest for most insulting comment for your first post.    

I don't know about the Canada thing but you will need to get your National Registry in the USA to work here as a medic.  

Plus, AWESOME user name, and yes that was sarcasm.  

7 minutes ago, Arctickat said:

Actually, braniac, I was referencing the second word. An institution is a prison, an institute is a school. Jesus I'm glad I own my companies in Shitsville so I won't see your application for employment cross my desk.

All right, you got me on that one....INSTITUTE! .........I just came out of the institution that's why 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.