Field internship

Lifesaver98

I am an EMT-B student and Wednesday is my first clinical rotation at the fire station. I have already worked several hours at the ER but have not worked any hours at the station. I will be working a 24 hour shift. 
What should I bring? 
How do I make a good first impression? 
How do I get the guys to like me? 

Good questions.

What should you bring?  You should bring a pen, pad of paper, pocket calculator, stethoscope, cash for food in case you don't make it back to the station to eat the lunch you'll have brought with you, study material, an open mind, an abundance of patience.

How do you make a good impression?  Show up early, be eager to get involved with anything (e.g. checking the ambulance, cleaning, house chores), know when it's appropriate to ask questions (generally after you're transferred care and not in front of the patient or family) and when to keep your mouth shut, say "please" and "thank you" (not kidding).

How do you get the guys to like you?  You don't.  You're not there for them to like you.  They're not there for you to like them.  You're there to learn.  They've agreed to teach.  That being said you don't want them to report back to your instructors that you're a jerk.  Be respectful of them.  Be polite.  Be professional.  Before the start of your shift talk with them and ask what their expectations are of you.  Let them know what you'd like to do during the shift.  If you happen to get along well then that's a bonus.

• Like 1