3rd time taking the NREMT

Hello everyone,

I recently finished EMT school, and I am currently trying to jump over the last hurdle to finally get into a career in EMS. The first time I took the test, I stopped at 120 questions, and didn't pass. I didn't do so well in cardiology and ventilation and that was it, so I went back and studied the crap out of those subjects ( while keeping up on the other subjects as well.) Fast forward a few weeks, through countless hours of studying using online sources, books, apps, and study groups, I go to retake the test. We get a dry- erase laminated sheet of paper and a pen, and as soon as my test started, I wrote down things such as vital ranges, a diagram of blood flow through the heart, different types of shock, and so on. But the questions were completely bizarre! For example, one of them asked

"When notifying a patients family member that they have deceased, which is the best physical position you should be in?" 

A ) Across the room from the patient's family member 

B ) Standing in front of the patient's family member while they are sitting 

C ) Behind the patient's family member 

D ) Hovering above the patient's family member

A lot of the questions were of this nature, and apparently I don't know how to physically position my own self. The test stopped at 71, and I awoke the next morning to find that I need to retake it again.

Im really quite frustrated/ upset with myself. I've put a lot of time and effort into school and studying for this. I have a passion for helping people and I have grown to admire every aspect of this field of work. I got the do CPR during my ER hours and I knew that this field was for me. Anything at all would really mean/ help a lot :) I admire the hell out of EMS/ Fire, and would love to have a career in this field one day. 

Hi, I am so sorry that you are frustrated with your studying and for the test as well.  I have been there before and it can be overwhelming at times.  Here is a website that could help you:  

http://www.pacificmedicalacls.com/paramedic-beginner.html  

Once you read that, it will help with the overall focus.  Also, study by doing chunks of time and then taking breaks throughout the process.  Also, make sure to eat good and proper nutrition.  I wish you the best on your test.  

• 1 month later...

I understand how you feel.  I too have studied things and I did not do very well on the exams.  It has been hard at times to just get things done and find the time to study.  I also find it hard when I have a lot of things on my mind and I feel a lot of pressure.  I find it easier if I have study guides to help me and if I also have pictures that follow my study guides.  Here is a helpful study guide that could be helpful:

https://www.acls.net/study-guide-body-systems.htm

I hope you do well on your test.  Thank you.

• 1 month later...

I would do a computerized test that is a practice version so that I would be ready and understand the answers.  I would also understand how to do application testing by either purchasing a practice test book or getting one from the library.  I would also ask your friends or get into a study group for the test and ask each other questions in order to help study for the test.  I hope this helps.  Please let us know how you did and I hope you did well.  

• 2 weeks later...

Guessing "B."

I would highly recommend researching how to actually take a test. Context clues can very often lead you toward the correct answer, if you can understand how to parse the wording of questions and answers. For example, answers with "most," "many of," and "typically" tend to more often be correct when other answer's operatein the definitive (always, every, all). 

It may not be the best way to pass, but assuming you've diligently studied I don't think you would be doing anything "wrong." It's definitely how I plan to pass the exam, where knowledge gained fails. 

I hope the third time is the charm! Lack of faith in yourself is a dangerous things, know you'll pass next time!

• 2 weeks later...

In my school career, I have taken so many tests and some of the tests I had to re-take the exam.  One of those tests that I can remember very well is taking one of the teaching for certification exams.  I took the exam at least two times and I still could not get the higher points.  It was very frustrating to me.  I totally understand what you are going through.  I am so very sorry.  My best advice would be to let out your concerns and talk to your guidance counselor.  I wish you the best.  

So it's October 21, the OP posted here on July 12.  That's 3 months ago.  If he hasn't retaken the test by now, well he should have.  If he has and he didn't pass, then he should be in a refresher class and also a how to overcome test anxiety class or seminar.  

he should have come back and updated us but I'm thinking the worst but hoping for the best.  

I think we can consider this a dead horse and this dead horse does not need anyone beating it anymore.  

• 1 month later...

I can sympathize with you.  I had to take test again and again and it was so frustrating to me as well.  The thing that I would say are the following:

1.  Go ask your teacher for help and guidance.

2.  Be in a study group where you are helping one another.

3.  Make lots of flashcards.

4.  Draw pictures of the medical diagrams.  Sometimes, that would help me understand the concepts better.  

Good luck to you!  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.