First Ride Along Friday

Hey guys, I am going on my first ride along Friday and was looking for some advice. I am eager to learn, but do not want to be annoying. I am the first in my class to do them, so I cannot ask my classmates for any assistance. Thanks in advance.

go in with an open mind

Ask in advance what they want you to do

Ask what they will allow you to do

ask many many questions

make sure you help them with cleanup and changing cots

DO NOT spend most of your time flirting with the nurses, talking or texting or playing games on yoru phone.  Youare there to learn and not to text or talk on  your phone.  If I as a FTO/evaluator had my wish and ruled the world, I would not students to carry their cell phones on them when they were doing ride alongs or I would put them in the lock boxes and I would only allow them out during breaks and lunch.  

Bring your field guide or some book to let the medic know you are serious about learning. 

Do not offer to buy them lunch or dinner, that would set a bad precedent that you would be held to on your next ride and your next and again and again.  You are there to learn, not to buy the crew food.  

I'm sure that there will be other stuff that others will add.  

• Like 4

Ask questions. Be open to what you're told. Relax because, if you're stressed over your ride time, you'll make more mistakes. Do expect some flubs. Write your class reports while the crew writes their reports, and don't be afraid to ask them questions or to read over because crews do that in some places and it'll help you learn to write a good report. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Take your school books, and do your homework during the 'down time'. 

Ask questions, but not the ones you already should know the answers to, (Why do the prongs on the nasal cannula go inside the nares and not the ears?).

Do not be afraid to get involved in the call.  You're not an observer, you're a student that is there to learn the 'hands on' aspect  of the profession.

RELAX, your FTO/Preceptor isn't expecting a lot of experience, but they're not expecting a total bonehead either.

LEAVE THE PHONE ALONE!  You're not there to play on social media.  Taking pictures of patients and their 'owies' is ALWAYS a bad idea.  There will be moments that you'll see something that the whole class may be wanting to see (like the results of car vs oak tree) but its ALWAYS in poor form to go snapping pics.