question

bafro12

senior in high school, want to become an emt. i have a school already in mind, but i don't know where to begin in preparing. thought id come here and ask. 

also, odd question.... i have dreads that are no longer than collar length, will this be a problem in this career? 

Welcome. 

A well prepared EMT student should have college level anatomy and physiology, math and writing/composition classes under his/her belt.  Bonus points for history, psychology and sociology classes will be earned once you start dealing with patients. 

Hairstyle, grooming standards and personal hygiene requirements can vary from employer to employer.  If you want to work for a specific organization that has grooming and physical appearance standards as a condition of employment be prepared to cut your hair. 

edit: double period fixed

Edited by paramedicmike

Many organizations have a dress code including hair length but the majority of places I've worked your dreds would not be an issue.  

Be prepared to not get hired if your dreds are really long or if they look bad.  

It's a cultural thing. You might have an ex navy corpsman combat veteran hiring chief who could care less about hairstyle or a play it down the line, bachelor's prepared city medic who does. For any job, in or out of EMS, employers are looking for maturity. Qualifications are what they are and lots of folks have them. They're not hard to come by. What makes people stand out to prospective employers is how much the candidate does NOT place himself in the center of the universe, among other things, of course, but that's a big one. If you come across as someone who finds his identity in tattoos, hair, piercings or whatever, and not in what it is you're interviewing for, you might be disappointed.

Employers want grownups, and that can have nothing at all with how old you are. Good luck.

Off label, great post, but unfortunately, many I've worked with, some in the hiring side, consider the person in dreds as less than desireable as an employee.  I for one consider the person and not the hairstyle.  I have several friends with crazy ass hair styles.  I know the person behind the style, but they have been passed over for jobs they were qualified for, passed over based on their appearance.  Sucks, and we should be past all this, but appearance is very important.  If you look like a thug(not saying you do) but generally, if you do, then you probably won't get the job

It's a cultural thing. You might have an ex navy corpsman combat veteran hiring chief who could care less about hairstyle or a play it down the line, bachelor's prepared city medic who does. For any job, in or out of EMS, employers are looking for maturity. Qualifications are what they are and lots of folks have them. They're not hard to come by. What makes people stand out to prospective employers is how much the candidate does NOT place himself in the center of the universe, among other things, of course, but that's a big one. If you come across as someone who finds his identity in tattoos, hair, piercings or whatever, and not in what it is you're interviewing for, you might be disappointed.

Employers want grownups, and that can have nothing at all with how old you are. Good luck.

who couldn't care less

There is an image that the public has of a health care provider, and a sloppy hair style usually does not fit that style.  

who couldn't care less

There is an image that the public has of a health care provider, and a sloppy hair style usually does not fit that style.  ughhh

ughhhh......a grammar Nazi.... at least I know you read my posts carefully.

Edited by Off Label

Off label, great post, but unfortunately, many I've worked with, some in the hiring side, consider the person in dreds as less than desireable as an employee.  I for one consider the person and not the hairstyle.  I have several friends with crazy ass hair styles.  I know the person behind the style, but they have been passed over for jobs they were qualified for, passed over based on their appearance.  Sucks, and we should be past all this, but appearance is very important.  If you look like a thug(not saying you do) but generally, if you do, then you probably won't get the job

I think we agree... at a hospital I'm familiar with, apparently there was a hiring person that wasn't at all uncomfortable with visible tattoos, odd hair and piercings of all types. The position was 'internal transport', what we used to call orderlies. There were several so adorned internal transporters. Apparently the medical staff, patients and their families disagreed with the hiring practices of said hire-er and those internal transporters are now no where to be seen. In fact, the group as a whole now could work for Disneyland, they're so squeaky clean.

Edited by Off Label
grammar