Genesis II IDLH Rescue Resuscitator

Kn.ght1

Hello, 

This is a equipment questions as well as a patient care questions. Currently on my paramedic practicum and they carry a Genesis II ventilator. We had a one day 2hr session on ventilators in class so my knowledge is basic and I only understand basic setup. I want to become comfortable with utilizing the genesis but I'm unable to find any literature even product manuals for this unit. Does anyone have any resources for me? Or know where I can find them? 

Second questions, based on the 6-8ml/kg ARDS protocol and the ideal body weight formula the 5 setting are restrictive to patient 25kg-35kg, 50kg-65kg, 80kg-105kg and 130kg and up. Is it appropriate for the in between weights to round the tidal volumes up? Or down? If to round down would PEEP need to be increased? Would this change anything from 5-10 mm H2O? I want to do the best to avoid volutrauma and causing atelectasis for my patients. On top of all of that we only carry ETCO2 so the ventilator will be titrated to those values. 

What would be safer for these patients with in between weights, to BVM them during transport? 

Hard to answer this question as I don't use this ventilator, but general principles apply when avoiding lung injury so I'll chime in anyway.

First, though, besides the weight class selections, what else is adjustable in terms of tidal volume, peak inspiratory pressures peep, etc.?

The settings are very restrictive they go as such: 

20RR/0.200 (200 ml)

15 RR/0.400 (400ml)

12RR/0.650 (650ml)

12RR/0.900 (900ml)

12RR/1.10 (1100ml)

So the respiratory rate is restricted to a certain tidal volume. If you want to ventilate your patient 20bpm you can only give them 200ml then. PEEP has to be added. If you look up careVent by Otwo they are quite similar. 

Here's a link to vent world for the careVent it has some information that I believe is similar to the Genesis. The vent itself looks identical to the genesis except for colour. 

http://www.ventworld.com/equipment/ProdBooth.asp?ProdId=3862

Edited by Kn.ght1

The settings are very restrictive they go as such: 

20RR/0.200 (200 ml)

15 RR/0.400 (400ml)

12RR/0.650 (650ml)

12RR/0.900 (900ml)

12RR/1.10 (1100ml)

So the respiratory rate is restricted to a certain tidal volume. If you want to ventilate your patient 20bpm you can only give them 200ml then. PEEP has to be added. If you look up careVent by Otwo they are quite similar. 

Here's a link to vent world for the careVent it has some information that I believe is similar to the Genesis. The vent itself looks identical to the genesis except for colour. 

http://www.ventworld.com/equipment/ProdBooth.asp?ProdId=3862

Sounds like strictly control ventilation. Pretty narrow operating range for patients that are at least completely apneic from whatever reason. Bottom line for me would be as close to 6 cc/kg as possible with at least 5 of peep with airway pressures less than 30 if possible. I don't think you'd do any harm if you stuck close to that for the time it took for a transport. Not optimal, but you'd be ok with that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.