Need advice for starting classes!

apmbpm

Okay so simply put I'm 16, I live in Pennsylvania, and I was looking at starting to take classes to get my EMT-B. I'm also thinking maybe I should just volunteer at my local fire station and wait to take the class so I can get some more experience. One problem with that is they don't have an ambulance there, just a utility truck that the EMT rides on so I won't be getting any experience around an ambulance. Obviously no matter what the experience would be helpful but the real question is should I just get my EMT-B out of the way so after I gain more experience I can start looking at getting my EMT-I, or should I just wait until I've gotten more experience from volunteering at my local fire station? Now I would like to not take age into account on here because it seems like a lot of people on EMT forums dislike anyone even thinking about getting an EMT-B before they are 18, but obviously it will so fire away please I just want to know what everyone thinks I should do.

What kind of experience are you going to get with your local volly FD?  They only have a utility truck staffed with one EMT.  That's probably not going to get you the experience you're looking for.  Is there an ambulance service in your community?  There should be... at least of some sort.  South East PA does pretty well with ambulance coverage.

And really?  It's a fire department.  Do you want to be an EMT?  Or do you want to be a firefighter?  That's a decision to consider now, too.

If you want to take the class then take the class.  It's not going to hurt you to take it.

With regards to your age it will prove to be a limiting factor in how much you will be allowed to do and when.  You won't be insurable to drive any of the vehicles.  While you may not like to hear it there are age considerations that need to be considered.  How others choose to address those factors, and how mature you are in being able to address those concerns, will be more telling about you than your decision to take the course.  Please recognize, too, that the people offering their thoughts to you with regards to your age in all likelihood know more than you on the subject.

What kind of experience are you going to get with your local volly FD?  They only have a utility truck staffed with one EMT.  That's probably not going to get you the experience you're looking for.  Is there an ambulance service in your community?  There should be... at least of some sort.  South East PA does pretty well with ambulance coverage.

And really?  It's a fire department.  Do you want to be an EMT?  Or do you want to be a firefighter?  That's a decision to consider now, too.

If you want to take the class then take the class.  It's not going to hurt you to take it.

With regards to your age it will prove to be a limiting factor in how much you will be allowed to do and when.  You won't be insurable to drive any of the vehicles.  While you may not like to hear it there are age considerations that need to be considered.  How others choose to address those factors, and how mature you are in being able to address those concerns, will be more telling about you than your decision to take the course.  Please recognize, too, that the people offering their thoughts to you with regards to your age in all likelihood know more than you on the subject.

I no doubt want to be an EMT, I just figured the local station would be my best choice since it's close by (literally down my street) and it could help me get use to being apart of some form of an emergency service. There is an ambulance service in my area (White Rose Ambulance) I just wasn't sure if I could really do anything but ride along's with them since I'm under 18, and I eventually would like to do some ride along's but figured I would wait until I started taking classes to do so.  I've also taken a look around and I know my general restrictions which I could deal with it won't kill me, I knew there would be in the first place really. And of course I understand that someone with more experience than me would have an opinion about my age which and I'm okay with them saying something I just really don't want that to be their deciding factor in the response but maybe I should have reworded my post a bit, but people can say something about it if they would like to, I can handle someone giving me advice that involves my age just figured it didn't pertain to the question I asked. (Also thanks for the response) 

White Rose, eh?  That's the same organization referenced in this thread.  Don't do what they did.

Also, welcome to the forums.  Stick around.  Learn lots.  It's worth your while.

Yep that's them lol, don't really plan to if I become an EMT. Thanks for the welcome, and I plan to, seems like there are a lot of knowledgeable people around here.

Edited by apmbpm

Once you take the class you'll be able to understand more and do more towards your EMT goal and career.  I would advise getting started in your coursework first.  If you're looking to improve your knowledge base, a great way (aside from the forum) is to conduct interviews with EMTs in your area.  While doing volunteering, whether firefighter related or EMT ask about their careers, studies, etc so you have a better idea of what the options are and where they might take you.  That will help you especially with area-specific things as they'll know the training centers and resources in your area.  Great to see a young person taking it seriously and looking around for advice.  Best of luck!

Once you take the class you'll be able to understand more and do more towards your EMT goal and career.  I would advise getting started in your coursework first.  If you're looking to improve your knowledge base, a great way (aside from the forum) is to conduct interviews with EMTs in your area.  While doing volunteering, whether firefighter related or EMT ask about their careers, studies, etc so you have a better idea of what the options are and where they might take you.  That will help you especially with area-specific things as they'll know the training centers and resources in your area.  Great to see a young person taking it seriously and looking around for advice.  Best of luck!

Sorry for the late response, and thanks for the advice! I hadn't even thought about really "interviewing" anyone about their studies or anything like that.