Introducing Myself From Canada (:

New Medic

Hey guys!

I wanted to introduce myself before I started commenting on streams, helping on or asking questions and before I started sharing or commenting on shared stories and experiences. I am introducing myself because I would love to be a part of this site and to get full advantage from it. 

I am a relatively new medic - EMR for 1 year and an EMT student shortly and new to this site. Love to learn from other peoples experiences and to apply their knowledge to my own. I am technically a new medic but have been in the field as a volunteer since I was 12 and grew up with Doctors and other EMS. Would love to exchange stories, experiences and questions! 

Don't be afraid to reach out. 

Let's have those conversations that we are dying to tell to our friends but don't because it would either terrify, disgust, or freak them out! 

Edited by New Medic
  • Like 1

Welcome, you must be from Alberta. (edit, Oh yeah, I see that in your location now)

Ahh the exuberance of the NFG paramedic. I remember 30 years ago when I reveled in sharing war stories, competing with my co-workers to win the most bloody/smelly/disgusting/grossest, call competition.

Then I got old, and remembered that that bloody mess was once a child before he ran in front of a speeding train, or that smelly corpse was a rape and murder victim, or that disgusting oozing body was an abused elder, the memories from those stories have become the nightmares that wake me from my sleep.

Edited by Arctickat

Hey guys!

I wanted to introduce myself before I started commenting on streams, helping on or asking questions and before I started sharing or commenting on shared stories and experiences. I am introducing myself because I would love to be a part of this site and to get full advantage from it. 

I am a relatively new medic - EMR for 1 year and an EMT student shortly and new to this site. Love to learn from other peoples experiences and to apply their knowledge to my own. I am technically a new medic but have been in the field as a volunteer since I was 12 and grew up with Doctors and other EMS. Would love to exchange stories, experiences and questions! 

Don't be afraid to reach out. 

Let's have those conversations that we are dying to tell to our friends but don't because it would either terrify, disgust, or freak them out! 

Those are not the conversations that will benefit you the most in your chosen career. Knowledge, leadership, procedural competence and professionalism will forever be the cornerstones of sound practice at any level. The conversations that enrich any or all of those factors will be of the greatest benefit throughout your career. 

Arctickat said it well. Eventually those one-up-manship stories will be your nightmares. Not because they grossed you out, but because as you age you realize there are human lives attached to said stories.

Oh and welcome to the city. Hopefully our crusty selves haven't deflated your enthusiasm. Most of us really do still love our jobs.

Welcome. I hope you find this site as useful as I have while developing as both an EMT and as a new medic. You'll probably learn this once in EMT school, but most places in Saskatchewan at least use medic in relation to EMT-P or ACP, and not for first responder, EMR, EMT, or PCP.

True that a lot of the messiest and nastiest calls a lot of us have been to also become the source of a lot of memories we wish we could forget. One of the most important lesson, for me when working with marginalized population groups is that everyone, every patient was once their mother's bundle of joy. 

Best of luck and don't hesitate to PM me with any questions! 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.