For those who advocate Community EMS

Just Plain Ruff

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Community EMS & expanded scope of practice can work if we, focus our efforts on provider education, disease & injury prevention,follow established protocols to address common problems similar to what CVS Minute Clinics does & the use of telemedicine.

• 3 months later...

I am not for this community medicine stuff.  I signed up to be a paramedic to respond to 911 calls and treat people in such situations.  I am not the hospitals lackey to prevent their readmission.  The problem that affects their funding, they should deal with it.  Since they are so concerned with it ($$$) they should hire a team of nurses or other health care professionals to do in home check ins similar to home health care nurses.

That being said, if the Chicago Fire Dept wants to pay me a butt load more money to ask some jamokes in the ghetto if they took their medicine then I'm all for it

I don't see this article as a strike for or against community paramedicine. What I do see it as is a call for both appropriate education and health team collaboration. The giant culture shock that's coming for many paramedics is that they were always meant to be a health care entity. What makes us unique is the fact that we are health care workers operating in an emergency service environment.

I must've missed the part where Community Based Medicine involves first responders but I do believe in strict hospital based EMS which I've enjoyed in Noo Yawk. I have always pitched in to assist the ER staff in any endeavor required just as long as it didn't interfere with my bus being delayed for calls in my PAR, help work up patients, hold down EDP's, juggle stretchers, beds & equipment, run errands, mop blood off the Trauma room floor, whatever it took to keep the hive functioning, they took care of us & we took care of them. I'd never entertain the CVS concept even by direct order, I didn't attend EMS school for that.

Edited by MEDCOM RADIO

just as long as it didn't interfere with my bus being delayed for calls in my PAR,

What kinda bus do you drive? I used to be a bus driver, but now I'm an ambulance driver. My friend drives a city transit bus. He hates it when he gets delayed. He supposed to stay on a strict schedule.

Originals were made by GM & a few by Olsen in the late 50's which were eventually replaced by Grumman's in 74

Type 2 Wheeled Coach, Braun & Horton's for the privates I slaved for

Cadillac style Sayers & Scoville, Superior & Miller Meteors for the vollies which we proudly called community Volunteer Ambulance corps.

I must've missed the part where Community Based Medicine involves first responders but I do believe in strict hospital based EMS which I've enjoyed in Noo Yawk. I have always pitched in to assist the ER staff in any endeavor required just as long as it didn't interfere with my bus being delayed for calls in my PAR, help work up patients, hold down EDP's, juggle stretchers, beds & equipment, run errands, mop blood off the Trauma room floor, whatever it took to keep the hive functioning, they took care of us & we took care of them. I'd never entertain the CVS concept even by direct order, I didn't attend EMS school for that.

I can't decide if you're a troll or just naturally inflammatory. Either way I think I'm going to pop a couple of ASA before diving any further into this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.