Prior Military with DUI from 2009, will I be able to get a job as an EMT?

VTW8991

I'm 26 with a DUI that happened in 2009, I'm now going back to school and would love to pursue a career as an EMT Paramedic. That said, I have a DUI and reckless driving offense on my record, both were immediately after I separated from the navy. how difficult will it be for me to land a career as an EMT-Basic or Paramedic?

Ask to set up an informational interview with a chief or one of the line officers to further explore the profession.  Be direct.  Be succinct.  Ask many questions.  Ask the questions you want answers to.  Send a thank you note afterwards.  Use the information gained to help make your decision.

Intentionally vague, yes.  What works best for you might not for someone else.  A general approach, however, can be broadly applied.  As your meeting progresses you'll get a feel for the other person and how s/he responds to questions.  You'll be better able to put together a good way to ask.

DUI is going to make it harder to be employed in a profession that requires driving.  Insurance companies tend to frown on it as I'm sure you know.  Insurance issues will be your biggest hang up.  After that will be your eligibility to be certified/licensed in your state given your record.  A direct inquiry to your state EMS office will help clear that up as well.

Ask to set up an informational interview with a chief or one of the line officers to further explore the profession.  Be direct.  Be succinct.  Ask many questions.  Ask the questions you want answers to.  Send a thank you note afterwards.  Use the information gained to help make your decision.

Intentionally vague, yes.  What works best for you might not for someone else.  A general approach, however, can be broadly applied.  As your meeting progresses you'll get a feel for the other person and how s/he responds to questions.  You'll be better able to put together a good way to ask.

DUI is going to make it harder to be employed in a profession that requires driving.  Insurance companies tend to frown on it as I'm sure you know.  Insurance issues will be your biggest hang up.  After that will be your eligibility to be certified/licensed in your state given your record.  A direct inquiry to your state EMS office will help clear that up as well.

Excellent post Mr Mike, I would only add to this,  a DUI that is 9 years old is much better than one within the past year or so, especially with a proven pattern of no other offenses occurring.  

Don't forget that some services are self insured and those may be more forgiving in who they hire driving but they may also have a drop dead no hire rule for DUI/DWI.  

I for one do not have much sympathy for anyone who has a history of a dui/dwi but I do know that people change and I give people the benefit of the doubt in that arena.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.