Greg Turner Edmonton Paramedic

The "code of conduct/silence" must be broken, I suspect it comes from ACoP or AHS, but not criminal by OH+S, links to help lines and facebook link is broken ?

HUH ?

We HAVE to change the culture EMS to help our brothers and sisters.

A comment posted on CBC.

• Squinting

I am a survivor of PTS or OSD (38 year .. A Domestic Veteran) so I speak with a bit of knowledge on this topic as 3 years ago I too was looking 6 feet down I asked for help and was treated as a criminal ...this despite the recent well intended legislation of AB Bill 1.

PTSD is presumptive in First responders, Law enforcement, Corrections, Medics and our Fire Fighters RIP BRAD !

I have good days and not so good days, yesterday was not a good day as I knew with the media releases "innuendo" and links connected the dots ... no sleep, calls to non governmental supporters and advocates .

I can say without hesitation that not only the EMS/LEO/FF culture of "suck it up princess attitude" is partially to blame, so if one comes out of the closet (so to speak) ones career is simply over.

Yet hose in high places are and continue to contort the intent of this important legislation with deny, delay, and when at ones weakest bombard with useless paperwork tactics insisting that many multiple "psychological assessments" be done to attempt to 'disprove' a false claim.

At your wish CBC I will present 11 pounds of paperwork and be interviewed as to the literal psychological torture endured by myself at the hands of those intended to help me ?

Tomorrow is Mental Health awareness day, so I ask, when the first responders are suiciding .. just what does this say about the supposed HELP that governments purport to be doing about this national traged ? Not a Damn Thing !

I will make note that 3 survivors (2 places in Canada) at their own expense, attempting to set up a "respite" a place to go and spend time with trusted "been there done that type guys" in confidence and respect for the duty they have provided to all Canadians.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't know Greg but I know Greg. I have watched colleagues suffer as he obviously did for my entire career in the field. I have been incredibly fortunate thus far, but in the back of my mind I know I'm likely only waiting for the moment it all boils over. Recently I spoke with a colleague about his PTSD experiences. His suffering focuses primarily on a single incident but it took 18 years of further incidents to put him over the edge. 18 years of the worst of the human condition and he was doing well. He would go home to his loving family, work his beloved trap line, and sleep soundly at night knowing the value of his efforts. One day, one call, later he is a broken man completely unable to function at home or as a paramedic.

How will it strike me if it ever does? Will it be a slow building cumulative form? Will it be cumulative with a hyperfocus on a particular incident randomly set in motion by another separate incident? Will it be a single incident? We should all be asking ourselves these questions. We should all be seeking ways to mitigate these risks. Perhaps I will be the fortunate one who is never struck down by the acquired mental illness that is PTSD. Perhaps I will not be so fortunate. Regardless of my own fortune, I find it my duty to stand with my brothers and sisters who are suffering for as long as my legs will hold me.

Greg, you have my respect.

Ed

• Like 1

i stand with my brothers & sisters and am sure that we all suffer from it to some extent.

Too many years of horrific calls and far too much human suffering and misery that we are expected to deal with on a daily basis will take it's toll on anyone.......

Finding someone to talk to in confidence can be difficult and admitting to the powers that you need help, be can be career ending.

Stand Tall my Brothers & Sisters We are STRONG and can work though our issues with the support of each other.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.