LGBT in EMS/Fire

Caduceus

I am a member of the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender) community. Two questions:

1) How are LGBT people received/treated in EMS (in EMT or medic positions or in management positions)

2) How are LGBT people received/treated in the fire service (in any position you can speak to)?

Thanks for the time.

Cad, out.

There really isn't a good answer for you. t's completely variable, based, among other things, on what part of the country you're in, what part of the state, the specific department's culture, how previous people of that orientation acted and were percieved...basically, like it is throughout the country.

I will mention this though, if you (and this is a general "you") are someone who has a chip on their shoulder about their sexual orientation and/or is aggressively confrontational about it, you'll have a tough time. I'd go so far as to say that's a gaurentee, even at places that would otherwise be more friendly to you. If it's something that doesn't matter to you at work (which it shouldn't) it'll be less of a problem.

There really isn't a good answer for you. t's completely variable, based, among other things, on what part of the country you're in, what part of the state, the specific department's culture, how previous people of that orientation acted and were percieved...basically, like it is throughout the country.

Yep. Pretty much this. There are too many variables at play that can and will affect the social interactions within any EMS/Fire agency or any other company/employer out there in the world. How any one of these will affect you as it pertains to you individually, your sexuality or gender identity is impossible to predict.

In most areas this is a non issue unless as others have said you are "blatantly in your face" gay and tend to be obnoxious about it.

Over the years I've worked with many gay & lesbian providers and with very few exceptions there never was an issue based on their sexual preference.

One that comes to mind is a woman who any time one of the supervisors would try to have a discussion on "her " Pt care ", it was always we were picking on her because she was gay.

One night she made a mistake in pt care that could have been dangerous and we had to have a little come to Jesus meeting at the hospital after the ER doc called me.

She started in with her discrimination BS line. I very loudly explained to her that I didn't care whether she slept with sheep, snapping turtles or little armpit dogs, but she had better start providing proper medical care or her arse would be out the door. The Doc just stood there with a shit eating grin on her face and let me go off.

Afterwards we actually worked together quite a bit and she became a pretty decent medic , once she lost the chip on her shoulder and realized that there were many providers of different orientations working as a group.

• Like 1

I've worked with partners of all persuasions and as long as they treated their patients well, didn't force their LGBT views on me, I did not force my hetero on them/

I was always accepting of their life/current partner and I expected the same

The only problem was when on partner was so confrontational and thought that every thing that she was bring criticized on was based on her being a lesbian then the problems began.

as a matter of fact, no-one would work with her because anything and everything that we did or said was always turned around to be a criticism or her being a lesbian. It finally came down to a couple of crew members taking her off into the garage and having a sit down with her. They told her that her vehement views on her always being critcised was NOT because she was a lesbian and because she was just someone who was very hard to get along with, she finally got the hint that it wasn't that she wasn't wanted there becuase she was a lesbian but because she was such a toxic person all around. She finally quit and we never heard from her again

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the straight answers guys. Sorry for taking so long to post back in here--college has been kicking my butt. I appreciate the support!

Thanks for the straight answers guys. (Haha, see what I did there?) As a side note, sorry it took me so long to get back to you, College is kicking my butt. Thanks for the support! Very much appreciate it.

• 1 month later...

I am a member of the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender) community. Two questions:

1) How are LGBT people received/treated in EMS (in EMT or medic positions or in management positions)

2) How are LGBT people received/treated in the fire service (in any position you can speak to)?

Thanks for the time.

Cad, out.

Nobody-cares-spongebob.jpg

Unless you make it an issue, its not an issue

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.