A bit too young

Medic60

I don't recall personally using profanity, but if I did I appologize. As for the youth programs, I am well aware of them as that is where I came from. We had youth members as young as 13, but couldn't ride the ambulance until 16 and never were we considered part of the minimum crew. All of us, including the 13y/os, knew their place. None of us ever thought we were some form of EMTs. I also came in contact with other youths from across the country during competitions and no one I ever met thought they were an EMT. So, either the OP is being horribly misinformed by his department putting himself, the pts and the department at risk or he is clueless and has delusions of grandeur putting himself, the pts and the department at risk. Looking more at what has been said, my guess is this is someone looking to stir the pot, which he/she has done pretty well. If the OP is being truthful, I hope he has read everything we have said, even if we have been mean and it hits him hard, for his sake. If he/she is really as gung-ho about EMS as he/she presents then there may be a great future ahead but it would be sad to see it ruined before it started because of either his/her ego or an inept department.

The only ego at stake here seems to be your ERdoc. As I said, give it a rest. You have beat up this 14 YEAR OLD enough.

Even if you use the abbreviations, a 14 YEAR OLD will know what they mean when it comes to cursing.

I am still not so concerned about a 14 year old who wants to be an EMT and hasn't learned all the legalities of it as I am about someone who should know better than to go after a 14 year old on an EMT forum in the manner you have. If someone hears a 14 YEAR OLD make a statement about being an EMT, those are in his area might know he left off the "junior" or explorer part. I doubt if it warrants a cursing. But, if others were to over hear the conversation posted here directed at a 14 YEAR OLD, I would hope any responsible adult would intervene regardless of your patch.

The only ego at stake here seems to be your ERdoc. As I said, give it a rest. You have beat up this 14 YEAR OLD enough.

Even if you use the abbreviations, a 14 YEAR OLD will know what they mean when it comes to cursing.

I am still not so concerned about a 14 year old who wants to be an EMT and hasn't learned all the legalities of it as I am about someone who should know better than to go after a 14 year old on an EMT forum in the manner you have. If someone hears a 14 YEAR OLD make a statement about being an EMT, those are in his area might know he left off the "junior" or explorer part. I doubt if it warrants a cursing. But, if others were to over hear the conversation posted here directed at a 14 YEAR OLD, I would hope any responsible adult would intervene regardless of your patch.

We get it, you're sticking up for the kid. Doesn't change the fact that he's misrepresenting himself, which negatively affects this profession. I don't agree with the profanity used, but I don't think ERdoc is flashing his feathers here, so no need to be rude to him.

On that note, I think this thread is a dead horse that should just be closed.

By the post make by island EMT, not much is off limits here when it comes to addressing kids.

I am not just sticking up for this 14 YEAR OLD KID. I am sticking up for kids. You adults with professional certs and licenses should know better. The first post gave his age. You should have adjusted your posts accordingly.

I will restate, YOU are the adults responding to a 14 YEAR OLD kid regardless of the topic.

EMS is not in very good shape if a 14 YEAR OLD kid who is wanting to be an EMT but needs some guidance is reflecting negatively on you.

First off, I'd like to give a shoutout to ventmedic; always nice when it comes around to show everyone the error of our ways.

To be clear on a couple of points.

I was the only one to use profanity. If it was shocking...good. It was meant to be. If it also caused the OP to stop reading and ignore what he had been told previously, that, while unfortunate, may indicate that he is unwilling to listen or won't listen when he is told, harshly, that he is wrong.

Did I go overboard? Maybe. Given that the OP is grossly misinformed about what he is doing and had not listened when he was corrected but tried to "prove" that he was right, or is flat out lying, I see no reason to be polite. Age does play a part in this vent, but not in the way that you likely mean.

For all your complaining venty, you yourself have done very little to answer the OP's original question or provide any real guidance on what he should be doing. Perhaps instead of the standard, arguementative lecture that is a hallmark of your posting, you should do something constructive, and offer a solution, and a way for him to move forward. Which, if you bother to actually read all the posts, has actually been done already.

If the OP returns I'll be happy to continue. But I'm not going to waste my time argueing with venty; done that enough and it's a pointless waste of time.

Edited by triemal04