A bit too young

Medic60

Hey I'm a 14 year old trained BLS/EMT and I need some help studying for my EMT B certification, does anybody have any good advice??? I've been working for my department for about half a year as a paid mechanic, and volunteer BLS/EMT, so I'm not as experienced as a lot of you guys.

I'm a really good Mechanic for my department, so they decided to train me in BLS so i'd be able to help on scenes, I have to wait 4 years until i get to take the exam, but i can study for it...I've responded to a couple calls as EMT but ive never done nor would i dare to perform any ALS or anything like that...

I've responded to a couple calls as EMT

No, you have responded to a couple of calls as a citizen who has some knowledge of first aid and have a few friends who are EMTs. You ARE NOT an EMT until you have a card from the state saying you are and approval from your medical director. Thinking anything else is dangerous and will get you and your pts in trouble. You seem eager, which is good, but don't let it end your career before it has even started.

• Like 2

No, you have responded to a couple of calls as a citizen who has some knowledge of first aid and have a few friends who are EMTs. You ARE NOT an EMT until you have a card from the state saying you are and approval from your medical director. Thinking anything else is dangerous and will get you and your pts in trouble. You seem eager, which is good, but don't let it end your career before it has even started.

Actually my state has issued me with a joint training/trained firefighter EMT card as we are a dual department...Its government issued and states that I am a nationally registered EMT just not my level...I am trained by my state and am USA nationally registered...

1. What state do you live in?

2. How can your govt issue you a card saying you are certified if you have not completed the testing?

3. Do you seriously expect us to believe you are NREMT certified? They require you to be 18y/o, nice try though.

1A. You're 14 and are "a paid mechanic" for a fire department? Please elaborate. What qualifications do you have to work on diesel engines, gas engines, emergency vehicles, hydraulic systems, brake systems, automatic/manual transmissions, hydraulic pumps and electrical systems?

1B. Do you just do work on 2-stroke tools (chainsaws and the like)?

2. What type of class did you go through to become a "trained BLS/EMT?" At a guess I think you're confusing actually learning how to be an EMT with sitting in on some department training.

3. If you work as a mechanic, why are you going on emergency calls?

4. If you are waiting 4 years to take an official state/national EMT test, even if you did actually take a real EMT course, you're going to have to repeat it. It's highly unlikely to the point of being impossible that any state will allow that length of time to elapse before you test without making you repeat the course. And the national registry definetly won't.

5. You have not responded on any calls as an EMT. Bystander, sure.

6. You are in no way, shape, or form a nationally registered EMT. I'm sorry, but either you are trying to con people, that fire department is pulling some hinky shenanigans, or you don't understand what whatever card they issued you actually means.

7A. What type of fire department is this? All paid? (clearly not) All volunteer? Combo? Rural? Semi-rural? Suburban? Urban?

7B. Who in that departments kid are you? What I mean is, what position does one of your parents fill there?

Just some random thoughts.

It's nice that you have taken an interest in this; it's a great job. But don't confuse whatever it is that you are actually doing with what others do. If this is something that you might want to do in the future, I'd suggest first learning more about it.

Visit your state EMS departments website (it's often under the state DHS system though not always) and then visit the national registry website. Read everything on both. Even the really boring stuff like the actual state laws. That will go a long way towards getting you informed.

Keep coming back and asking questions.

Edited by triemal04

Ok well, I'm glad to know that my fellow emergency medical responders don't understand that due to the context of my situation the government (which they always do) has changed the rules...neither one of my parents work for the Fire department or EMS my department is extremely rural and woodland/wildland, we have a few paid members as well as two fleet maintenance crew. Myself and the main mechanic. I have training enough to be called upon as an EMT by federal standards, and the town, county, and state standards...due to the fact that we have minimal paid staff the department as well as the state has trained all Fire/EMS employees as well as administration and fleet maintenance for BLS/EMT...

Ok well, I'm glad to know that my fellow emergency medical responders don't understand that due to the context of my situation the government (which they always do) has changed the rules...neither one of my parents work for the Fire department or EMS my department is extremely rural and woodland/wildland, we have a few paid members as well as two fleet maintenance crew. Myself and the main mechanic. I have training enough to be called upon as an EMT by federal standards, and the town, county, and state standards...due to the fact that we have minimal paid staff the department as well as the state has trained all Fire/EMS employees as well as administration and fleet maintenance for BLS/EMT...

If you are really all that and more, then you should be golden to study for your state exam. Not sure what you're looking for here kid, but you're not fooling us. You legally can not act as an EMT without certification and I do not know of a single state in the US or elsewhere for that matter who will allow a 14 year old kid to become one, and change laws just for that one kid. I really applaud your dedication and eagerness, but I sincerely doubt what you are saying here.