Recently passed NREMT, need advice on driving record/employment issue

DeSimone

Hi I'm new to this site so I'm unsure if I'm posting in the right place but heres the question

My driving record is hideous and I was convicted of a Wet Reckless in Jan 2012. Its basically a DUI. Ive called around to IFT companies to see if they'd take me as just an attendant and a lot of their reactions about my inability to drive were disheartening. Is it imposible to get into EMS with my record? I'm sure they see me as a liability because I look bad on paper but I really need to get into this field of work! When I took the class I felt like I found my purpose but I f'd it up by bad mistakes that I've made in the past. Is there anything I can do to make myself more appealing to an employer? I need to get my foot in the door, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I'm a 23 yo female located in Los Angeles County

ok, you are going to get a lot of responses on this and most will not be positive and I'll be the first.

1. DUI is one of the worst things you can have on your license in terms of the death knell of no employment in EMS because insurance companies determine that to be a HUGE liability. Plus we in the EMS field, sorry to tell you this, many of us in the field do not want to work with someone who got busted for DUI.

2. Your insurability will be almost a impossibility until you get this off your record.

3. There is a glut of emt's out there looking for work and with your DUI you go right to the bottom of the barrel or even into the trash can.

Had you have said you had a failure to yield charge or something like that, that would be one thing but the DUI is something of a cardinal sin.

In my area you would not be eligible for hire because of the DUI. You will more than likely need to either wait till the DUI drops off your license, wait till you turn 25 or find a service that is self insured.

There's a reason why you are being told it's a no go for that reason, in laymans terms, you are persona non-grata in terms of employability/drivability

One other thing and I'm sure that you have been told this but you need to lay off the alcohol from here on out, don't drink and drive and make sure that you remain above reproach in your legal troubles.

I can also tell you one other thing, I've been on multiple hiring processes and every person who has come in front of our processes and when we have been made aware of the candidates criminal history especially with DUI, they have been immediately put in the DO NOT HIRE list. You just didn't get passed our group if you had a DUI. Our thoughts were that if you were irresponsible enough to drink and drive and put countless lives at risk, then we didn't feel that you would be a good fit in our agency.

Lecture over - now here's the advice that you should heed now.

But I'm sure you've said and heard all that before. So pull your boots up by the bootstrap, get into paramedic school, and then start re-applying to services. For now the chances of a emt job is almost nil. Also stay away from the alcohol and a car.

Hope this helps.

With a DUI or equivalent on your record you are very likely to be unemployable in any field that has as part of the job description driving responsibilities. This includes EMS. Your conviction is a liability and insurance companies are not going to want to take a risk on anyone with that on their record.

Is there anything you can do to make yourself more appealing to employers? So long as this is on your record no.

As Ruff mentioned in his reply EMTs are a dime a dozen. For every applicant with a poor driving record there are many more who have the same certifications and a clean driving record. The choice in who to hire is that case is made somewhat easier because your application can be immediately discounted based simply on your driving record.

If, ultimately, EMS is what you want to do you're going to need to gain additional training, education and put several years of clean living between your conviction and the present day (whenever that present day may happen to be). Even then, however, there's a chance that you still won't get hired due to your conviction.

In the meantime, however, you've got a lot of work to do. You're still young so you have the advantage of time to demonstrate that this won't define you in a negative light. It will, however, take time to demonstrate that. And time isn't something you can force.

Thanks for the responses. Just to clear things up, I rarely ever drink. I was driving home from a buddies USMC graduation and was pulled over for excessive speed when I got that conviction. I blew a .09. I know it doesnt justify my actionsand it was extremely irresponsibile to put others lives in danger.

A couple more questions, someone was telling me I could work as an EMT in a hospital, is this true? And about paramedic school, I was told you have to have experience as an EMT to get in?

What Mike Said, you could probably get a job at a hospital as an EMT but remember, you might not get to do a lot of skills other than change dressings and maybe put on splints but that being said.

My advice is this.

Go back to school, get your pre-requisites for paramedic or gasp - nursing and finish those.

Get a well rounded education that will prepare you for being a paramedic.

If you are truly serious about being in EMS, then you will be able to wait patiently, bide your time, take your classes and take your paramedic courses. As a medic you really don't need to drive unless the service you want to work for makes you do so.

Since you are essentially barred from being an EMT for the foreseeable future, now's the time to SEIZE the day and get more education.

You could even go to the fire academy and be a fire fighter too.

Good luck, but remember, stay alcohol free.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.