Question to confirm I'm right to my hubby, TY!

smithmbjm

Hello !

I have had my license as a EMT-Basic for 8 years, however, I never could get into a job. So, my husband and son are arguing with me whether or not we can make someone go to the hospital. ? I told them 'If the patient is a danger to themselves or others', or 'if they absolutely need medical care then we can force them to go.'

Could I get one of the Seasoned EMT's to confirm this so I can show them that my license still means I know more than them, lol.??

Also, we moved to Florida recently. How do I transfer my license from one state to the other? I do not have the NR license anymore.

Thank you!

Mrs. Smith

Hello !

Hello.

... 'If the patient is a danger to themselves or others'

With restrictions and based on local law and law enforcement practices.

or 'if they absolutely need medical care then we can force them to go.'

Not if they're competent to refuse you can't.

Also, we moved to Florida recently. How do I transfer my license from one state to the other? I do not have the NR license anymore.

Perhaps you should be asking the State of Florida what they require.

Thank you!

Mrs. Smith

You're welcome.

You cannot force someone to go if they have the capacity to make their own decisions. They could be having a STEMI right in front of you, but if they say no, then it's no (assuming they have capacity).

• Like 1

You can not force someone in most areas of the US. The police, a judge, or a Doctor can force someone to get a psychiatric evaluation if they are a threat to themselves or others, but an EMT/medic can't. Nor can the police, a judge, or a doctor force someone to have an operation or care (other than psych) if the patient is competent and refuses.

• 3 weeks later...

I think we've debated this before but it's always fun to do it again. What if you explain everything to the pt, including the fact that they could go unresponsive and die but they say that even if that happens, they don't want you to do anything. What do you do then?