UK Paramedic programs

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the UK paramedic system and can better give me answers on how to proceed. I was thinking about taking a paramedic program in the UK because I will be spending a few years there. I was wondering how the transition will work between the US and the UK and if the UK medic certification will transfer to the US when i return. Any help is appreciated.

If you are coming from the US with any EMS qualification don;t expect to be jumped upon by the NHS services or the better end of the private / charitable providers - they will likely want to retrain you in the ways of JRCALC/AACE and you'll be in the same position as any other applicant (assuming you have the right to work in the UK). if you are all ready a US paramedic it will mean very little ( even some US trained RNs have difficulties in getting registered - although it;s mainly Associates only RNS thaty struggle - LPNs are NOT recognised in the UK - although there are / were getouts for civilian posts in US military facilities under the status of forces legislation)

Access to UK Paramedic Education will depend on your immigration status - unless you have IDLR or are on a spouse visa you may well find you cannot apply for any Health professional course due to funding / placement provider restrictions as pre-reg numbers in the UK are centrally managed,l and for none medicla HCP education the numbers of places for none UK /EU students are very very tightly limited and often tied in with International development stuff .

UK paramedics are Health Professionals registered with the HCPC http://www.hcpc-uk.org.uk/ and the university recruited programmes accept applications through UCAS http://www.ucas.com/ , any Student as employee courses will be advertised by the regional NHS Service through NHS Jobs https://www.jobs.nhs.uk/

there is a lot of competition for places

you would also have to get a UK/EU manual car driving licence (cat B) and a UK/EU cat C1 medium goods vehicle licence (again manual transmission test is preferred although some services do have a mainly 2 pedal fleet) before tyou would be considered for employee routes and the University routes often require a car licence and C1 provisional if not C1 full - and those courseswhich require C1 provisional may expect you to fund your own C1 ...

• Like 1

Oh my god Zippy, I read that and all those abbreviations just made my head spin like LInda Blair in the Exorcist. But dammit, I actually understood what you were saying. I need more caffeine.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.