Health Foundation Lottery

Arctickat

Okay, time to call in some favours. You guys know that I've been there in the past to help out your causes...now here's mine.

http://www.townofkelvington.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/20140224115403414.pdf

Our Hospital Foundation is a charity that purchases new equipment and furnishings to improve our ability to provide healthcare in the community. This lottery is one of our major fund raisers. Tickets are $60.00 each or two for $100.00 CDN. The attached pamphlet shows the prizes, and I will personally ensure that they get delivered to you.

• Like 1

Looks like some totally awesome priZes!! Wish I had the spare cash right now!! But......maybe our service does! I will check on Monday!

It's been a very stressful winter for the Mayor. I had to talk 9 municipal districts to collectively contribute $3 million towards the construction of our new hospital. That's a total population of just over 3,000 or $1,000 per person for a facility totaling $15 million. In the end, to get the project to move forward my community and a few others had to increase our contributions by about 80% to compensate for those who refused to contribute.

By "integrated" does this mean hospital service, assisted living facilities, ems all within the same compound? Or?

Looks like a terrific building plan~why are area's not willing to contribute?

It's the first of its kind in Canada using the LEAN 3P philosophy from the outset. Rather than have an architect design the building and force the health care providers to work around the design, frontline staff, patients, support staff, long term care residents, and family members designed the facility to fit the most efficient work processes possible. By integrated it means that all of the health needs of the community are obtained under one roof. Our doctors all work in the building, seeing clinic patients in the primary health area, but also available for emerg, acute care, and long term care. Home Care, Primary Health, Mental Health, Physical, speech, and occupational therapies take place in the same facility. Although a client can still have a specific physician, if he isn't available, any other physician still has access to the medical records and can see the client.

When the design team started, they were given a $15 million facility footprint to deal with. Since the facility is being added as another wing to a 46 bed level 4 long term care facility that is over 30 years old, one concern the community had was the aging infrastructure and many required upgrades to the older facility. During the design process they managed to shave off over $3 million that could be redistributed to upgrade the long term care facility while they also managed to increase services in the new addition and reduce wasted space.

Municipal participation is voluntary, and even though they will be using this hospital, they can't be forced to contribute to the project. Some have other priorities, some are close to bankruptcy. To be honest, this is likely the lowest population density that will succeed in acquiring funding for a new hospital. Up here, health facilities are paid for by a 20/80 % split between provincial and municipal governments. Some just have higher priorities than health care.

Edit:

We won't have shovels into the ground until almost August, but this facility has already won 2 awards and manyacross North America have expressed an interest in touring it once it is complete.

http://qualitysummit.ca/awards/

Edited by Arctickat

This sounds incredibly innovative! Add me to the list of people wanting to tour!

I have always dreamed of a place designed around the needs of those who use it, not an architects.....awesome work!