I Guess I Woke Up In Russia (ie.. LA Clippers Owner Banned)

mikeymedic1984

I hate to defend a racist, but I am shocked that no one is outraged by recent events. For those who do not follow sports, the owner of the NBA team the LA Clippers was recently embarassed by his "girlfriend" who taped him without his knowledge. In the tapes he makes some racist statements (without using the N word), in the privacy of his HOME. Somehow the tapes get leaked to TMZ, and then the world went crazy. Mr. Sterling has now been fired, and the NBA is trying to take his team (his business) away from him.

Again, not trying to glorify this guy, as he is lower than pond-scum, but he was fired for comments he made in the privacy of his home, to someone he thought he could trust. He was not fired for anything he did in the workplace. He wasn't even given a hearing. Am I the only one who sees this as "Un-American" ?

this guy is a tyrant, racist and bigot, BUT he had a girlfriend on the side who is/was a minority.

The same class of folks he threw out of rental properties,and the same folks he wants to make money on the backs of without having to be seen socializing with.

It was OK to get sex from a minority but did she have to be seen in public with them?

Like it or not he is a very wealthy dirtbag who will get away with it because he's filthy rich.

The NBA has to take this stance as they can't survive, [ read make millions of $$$$]

without the minority players playing a game for millions of dollars per year.

Do you see the trend here ??

People PLAYING a game and all are making millions $$$$$$$$$ per year , while those that slave away saving lives and wiping butts get squat.

ok, to risk sounding like a bigot but how can he be a racist when at least half if not more of his employee's are black?

But the NBA has to take this stance because they can't take the risk to offend anyone.

Ok, lets take race out of this. Lets say I got written up at work today by my supervisor. When I come home, I vent to my wife and/or girlfriend, in the privacy of my home. Without my knowledge OR CONSENT, she/they tape my tirade and put it on youtube. I walk into work tomorrow and I am fired for the things I said off of the clock. Do I have a case ?

Also, it should be noted that all he really asked his girlfriend to do was to not embarass him with her friends and their activities. As wrong as it is, his generation does not believe in interracial dating (except for him personally LOL; although it is really not limited to his generation --- had it happen in my family recently, and the family of the african american family involved was far more upset about their son dating outside of his race, than us racist white people were --- go figure) ?

Anyway, there should be some due-process for those we hate as much as we have for those we love. Freedom of Speech was not intended for those who say the things we want to hear, it is for those who say what we absolutely do not want to hear. And yes, I know Freedom of Speech only protects you from the government, not your employer, or the backlash you get from the public, but AGAIN, this man did not pick up a microphone and spew his filth -- he thought he was safe in his own home.

Edited by mikeymedic1984

I wondered the same thing as you, Mikey. A friend of mine, who is really into sports and following this pretty closely explained it to me. We need to ignore the feelings on the actual act of making the recording as that is out of the hands of the NBA. The fact is, the recording was made and it was released. The NBA is a corporation whose brand depends on its image. All team owners are required to sign a code of conduct when they purchase the team that if they do anything that can be seen as hurting the image of the NBA brand than they may be banned and forced to sell the team. What was done to him was disgustingly underhanded but he signed the code and knew the potential ramifications. He is the one that made the decision to trust someone, that in the end he shouldn't have, not the NBA. As for him not being a bigot, to some people the color green means more than any skin color.

I hear you doc, and agree to a point. If I attended a KKK rally in uniform, and it was broadcast on the news, I would expect to be fired for embarrassing my company. But this was in the privacy of his home, and I believe in California, it is illegal to tape people without their knowledge. So I see it like a serial killer who was only found guilty after the police did an illegal search of his home; he would go free in the court of law, regardless of how guilty he was.

The problem is with that is you are not dealing with the judicial system and constitution, you are dealing with a private enterprise. Fruit of the poisonous tree does not hold.

He hires black players because he wants to win and make more $$$$ by filling the seats and selling more team crap at exorbitant prices.

This is true of all sports leagues, whether it is the NFL, NBL, NHL , NBA or Motorsports.

It is ALL about making money , nothing more.

This is about someone who made statements that a collective organization considers racist, and since that organization relies on a majority of their employees who are black to win games for that organization that makes it the big deal that it is.

If the organization relied on a bunch of white guys to help them make all their money that this would even be an issue? I don't truly believe so, but since a majority of the players are black then this cannot be tolerated.

But what really pisses me off is that if a black owner were to make these statements then there would be no outrage or there would be minimal outrage. Obama would not go on TV and give his two cents. Jesse and Al would not be spouting their mouths off over this.

But because an old fart white guy said this, this is tantamount to the end of the world.

Seems that this is not the first time mr dirtbag has done this.

Mrs dirtbag is all over the news screaming about all the fancy cars and expensive homes mr dirtbag has given away in the past paying off other former minority bimbo's he's slept with.

Just another wealthy loser :thumbsdown: that can't keep his pants zipped. :clown: