Degrees for EMS?

As most of you know, I want to be a paramedic/firefighter. I do, however, want to get a Bachelor's degree.

Does anyone have any suggestions for bachelor's degrees I can get to help me in EMS? I have looked into Excercise Physiology degrees and also a paramedicine degree, but again I am hoping for a degree that is more broadly applicable.

Thanks for your time and help~!

-Cad

A degree program for Paramedicine from an accredited college. Look for CAAS certification.

This will give you a well rounded education in Paramedic science.

You will get A+P, Pharmacology, Cardiology, and Paramedic practices, along with your other electives.

Edited by island emt

Really depends on your goals and aspirations. Nearly all of the STEM degrees would likely help you understand the world and subsequently EMS better. However, perhaps you are more interested in literature and the humanities or perhaps the social sciences. It seems like you are considering an exercise physiology degree? Clearly, this would be helpful as well. Much of degree selection comes down to goals and aspirations. There are more flexible options being offered however. I know many places are offering individualised or applied studies degrees where the student has more flexibility in choosing classes. A close friend started off as a biology major but really wanted to take management and business classes. He ended up going into a BIS (Bachelor of individualised studies) programme and did a minor in biology. He is now completing his first year of graduate school as a PA student and will be starting his clinical year. We ended up going to grad school at about the same time and will graduate at about the same time and it has been fun comparing some of our courses because I am doing a pharmaceutical degree so some of the courses have rough crossover.

I am lucky enough to have a paramedicine degree available to me.

Since I am hoping to eventually to become a lieutenant or captain in the fire service I have also been considering a business degree of some sort.

Thanks for the advice guys. I look forward to telling you about my achievements as I get into this field. I also look forward to you setting me straight as I make mistakes.

Just depends on your long term goals. I would recommend "A Degree" for anyone entering the field today, as your upward mobility will be weakend without one. A Paramedicine degree makes the most sense, but a degree in Health Care Management (or any generic business degree) may broaden your opportunities to work for other industries (medical and non-medical) besides EMS; for instance hospital management, although most department heads in a hospital need to be an RN, there are many departments and upper level management jobs that are not typically occupied by nurses. You never know how you might feel about EMS 20 years from now.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply Mikey :) I know it's important to plan for when I am older and want to move to other positions.

Thanks for the help guys.

• 1 year later...