Do we want "Respect"?

respect of your peers and other healthcare professionals that you interact with is a valid thing.

For the Dr's you work under to have respect in your abilities and knowledge to provide proper care without being in a " mother may I " situation . This has changed greatly over the decades. It was originally a need to call in for a consult on just about every single part of the decision making process and to proceed with interventions as ordered.

Today we are very autonomous by comparrison.

Why??

Because of the respect we have earned .

• Like 1

I feel somewhat conflicted about the OP. I do feel that this career needs to be more professional. However, I'm not really too worried about the public at large. While they may not give us much thought when we are not needed, I think that society at large has confidence and trust in us when we are needed. Oh, and I really, really do not want to be compared to politicians, our professions reputation would have to take a serious hit to be brought down to their level of public trust.

The area where I think we need to step up our game for professional recognition is with other healthcare providers. I feel that we still play second fiddle to RN's and in a lot of respects our relationship with doctors is one of being dictated to, instead of collaborating with. I'd like to see more avenues for paramedic degrees, research, and upper management and supervisory roles.

Oh, and for god sakes, can we please stop wearing the star of life T-shirts on our days off?

I don't want public regonition per say. Only to have a reputation as a profession that when I come in and give my findings and differential diagnosis of my patient I am given the benefit of the doubt instead of having to overcome the same tired assumpt that I couldn't possibly know what is wrong or have made a difference. Of course this is earned, but I want to strive to earn respect of my peers.

• Like 1

Not trying to be rude --- it is probably me that is dumb, but what is your point ?????? I have no idea what you were trying to say or prove. You don't get respect, you earn respect. Are your co-workers being mean to you ????

Seriously mikey? What, do you live under a rock? Have you not been to many of the Facebook pages and read an article referring to an EMT or Medic who gets called an "Ambulance Driver" by the journalist or news caster and the entire thread dishevels into a debate on why EMS doesn't get respect? EMT's from all over the world jump those threads and post how they are NOT an ambulance driver and how they are so much more than a simple "ambulance driver."

EMT's screaming out to the world that medics may have patches but "EMTs save medics" etc. all the time....

Paid EMS services screaming out that the volunteer services are dragging down the professional services....

Fire/EMS debates that descend into a whirlwind of disrespectful comments from both sides.........

Just what do you think they are asking for when they are posting all of that?

However, I'm not really too worried about the public at large. Why not? I would think that public relations would be a high priority of any industry that wants to advance and improve. Will you get support if there isn't any respect for the industry?

The area where I think we need to step up our game for professional recognition is with other healthcare providers. Totally agree!

Oh, and for god sakes, can we please stop wearing the star of life T-shirts on our days off? I don't wear mine, I wear a superman cape.... ;)

respect of your peers and other healthcare professionals that you interact with is a valid thing.

For the Dr's you work under to have respect in your abilities and knowledge to provide proper care without being in a " mother may I " situation . This has changed greatly over the decades. It was originally a need to call in for a consult on just about every single part of the decision making process and to proceed with interventions as ordered.

Today we are very autonomous by comparrison.

Why??

Because of the respect we have earned .

Well said my friend.

Tami, maybe the 50% is all that she can do?

Maybe...I didn't think of it that way, thank you :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.