This is driving me nuts

RseCty

You answered my questions regarding insurability. Great. I appreciate it.

But implying that I'm lacking in moral character and integrity because of a six year old underage drinking charge is ridiculous. I made a mistake, and have shown that I've learned from it. In that respect, you are in fact wrong.

The ambulance service already knows all of the details regarding the accident. I told them that I bumped into the guy in front of me in a traffic jam. Not making it sound like less than what it was. That's literally what happened. They are aware that echnically it is no fault, as is shown by my driving record. What they disclose to the insurance company is entirely up to them.

Thanks for the replies.

So the conclusion here is, I'm morally bankrupt with zero integrity and I likely won't get the job?

Edited by RseCty

No. Please work on your reading comprehension. I said it was called into question.

I find it interesting that you're now admitting fault in the accident. You hit the other car. Regardless of the no fault finding the accident report likely records that you hit the other driver. From a commercial insurance point of view that may be a factor.

Again, you asked us for a reason. That you don't like the answers you are getting doesn't make them wrong.

I don't think you're wrong. Not about insurability. You confirmed what I suspected. I'm just crossing my fingers now.

And yes, it was my fault. But I was under the impression that the fact that it was no fault would somehow make a difference. You're right. Better to admit the details of the incident than for the insurance company to find out another way. Basically, like I said, I gave the details to the employer, said this is what happened, this is what it's listed as (no fault). I left it up to them.

The hiring manager told me that an MIP was not an issue, only potentially with insurance. She doesn't seem to think that it calls my integrity and moral character into question. And what she thinks is what matters.

So should I be prepared to hear bad news? I guess that's what really matters. Insurability is the only issue here. Worst case scenario, if insurance will be too costly, I'm going to go with an above poster's advice: I'm going to offer to pay the difference and have it deducted from my paycheck.

I think you're confused about what "No Fault" means.

Here's a quote from Wiki that explains it.

No-fault systems generally exempt individuals from the usual liability for causing body injury if they do so in a car accident; when individuals purchase "liability" insurance under those regimes, the insurance covers bodily injury of the insured and the insured's passengers caused by a car accident, regardless of which party would be liable under ordinary common law tort rules. No-fault insurance has the goal of lowering premium costs by avoiding expensive litigationover the causes of accidents, while providing quick payments for injuries or loss of property. Further, no-fault systems often grant "set" or "fixed" compensation for certain injuries regardless of the unique aspects of the injury or the individual injured. Workers compensation funds typically are run as "no fault" systems with usually a fixed schedule for compensation for various injuries.

My reading comprehension is just fine. You said "You have a lot of work to do." Obviously you were implying something about my moral character. Which is unfounded based on my conviction and the time that has passed since the incident, You denied that I have shown change when obviously I have. Not only that, but I have serious doubts that everyone posting on this thread refrained from any and all alcohol use entirely before they were 21. You can, and probably will tell me that you have, but only you know the answer to that.

My reading comprehension is just fine. You said "You have a lot of work to do." Obviously you were implying something about my moral character. Which is unfounded based on my conviction and the time that has passed since the incident, You denied that I have shown change when obviously I have. Not only that, but I have serious doubts that everyone posting on this thread refrained from any and all alcohol use entirely before they were 21. You can, and probably will tell me that you have, but only you know the answer to that.

you are right, probably every one here imbibed in alcohol prior to 21 but not many of us if any here giving you advice were caught and convicted of a MIP.

I would be very very surprised if a company will allow you to pay the difference in the cost of the insurance oout of your paycheck, it just really doesn't work that way, at least not in any of the services I've been at. It's either the insurer will cover you or they won't.

I do wish you good luck though.

I do admit to drinking alcohol prior to my 21st birthday. But the legal drinking age was 18 in my state.

I did not however ever get a citation for being a minor in possession of alcohol.

Most law enforcement officers can't be bothered to write that ticket as they are almost never prosecuted by the DA's office, unless the teenager has an attitude and mouths off to the officer, or is found to be in violation of other laws at the same time. My guess would be that there were extenuating circumstances to get prosecuted for just being in possession.

Just a quick tip for the future : alcohol use does not fit in with professional EMS.

I'm well aware that drinking and EMS do not mix. My drinking today is very moderate and occasional. Moderate meaning a glass of wine or a beer with dinner (German imports, mmmm). If I do work in EMS, I probably won't even do that.

No need to assume that I was improper toward the officer. Are you a police officer too? Police can be bothered with such things. I was never impolite and I complied.

Anyway fellas, thanks for the input. I only got heated when I felt I was unjustly being judged. I guess the difference between us is that I got caught. I suppose a burglar who has never been caught can comment on the moral character and integrity of one who has. Or something.

Edited by RseCty

It's good that you are willing and capable of standing up for yourself. You'll need that working in EMS, more so or less so depending on the type of environment that you find yourself working in.

If you haven't already figured it out, the MIP really shouldn't be a concern for you. If you have several that is a red flag and a different story, but one...not so much. If your state allows the expungement of juvenile records, if it really continues to bother you, look into that. Otherwise, keep being up front and honest about it, like you were.

The problem with your driving record is a little more of a gray area, and will also vary with different EMS agencies. In all reality you won't know for certain until it comes up. If it does keep you from getting this job that doesn't mean that it will always do so, just that you may need more than 5 months of a clean record. If you can't get a job on an ambulance there are other options for EMT's, though this also depends on your location. Look into those if this is something that you want to do as a career.

If you can sift through the bullshit and are really willing to listen sites like this can be educational...or not unfortunately.

I can't resist...

Most law enforcement officers can't be bothered to write that ticket as they are almost never prosecuted by the DA's office, unless the teenager has an attitude and mouths off to the officer, or is found to be in violation of other laws at the same time.

That is patently absurd, based on anecdotal experience only, and highly, HIGHLY situational. There are many places that are quite strict about MIP's, just as there are many that are not. While I've lived and worked in both, I'm not going to suggest that "most" do it one way or another based on that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.