EMT-B Federal Requirement

Finney

Island Emt,

Thank you, that was very helpful.

So from what I gather, once a person is both EMT certified and IC certified (through the 80hr course), they can begin teaching the EMT-B course themselves? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by Finney

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Island Emt,

So from what I gather, once a person is both EMT certified and IC certified (through the 80hr course), they can begin teaching the EMT-B course themselves? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Yes but only somewhat correct, in order to teach the EMT course at least in Missouri, you have to be attached to a state certified teaching entity which I believe has to be then attached to a college or higher education entity.

Community college or University I believe.

The course does not have to be taught at one of those places, it just has to be attached and approved by one of the approved training entities.

Island could have described the State of Missouri as well. In order for me to teach any form of Cont ed, I had to get my instructor cert which was 80 hours of classroom focusing on what Island's wife focused on.

And I just finished my 75th hour of continuing education this year. Granted that I am re-certing in my medic and need to play catchup but I'll have well over 200 hours over the next 6 months if you add in PALS, ACLS, CPR and ITLS and maybe NALS and ABLS

Hell if I decide to do it I might even get that DAN Cert that another member is bragging about.

And to top it off, In order to get my Certificate in Project Management I'll be taking 40 more hours of Project management education and don't even ask me about my continuing education for my re-Certification for my current IT job. Upwards of 80 more hours.

I feel like a student again.

I think med school and residency was less hours than that!

Finney, this is from the NYS DOH website:

http://www.health.ny.gov/professionals/ems/policy/08-05.htm

It was a semester of coursework for my state instructor/coordinator credential. A fair amount of standard curriculum and instruction work along with developing learning and teaching objectives and an emphasis of developing assessments based on Bloom's Taxonomy.

Island Emt,

In our state {Maine} we are licensed as providers, not certified, same in NH , Ma ,CT, VT ,RI and many other states.

Yes once you have IC licensure and training you may teach a Basic class anywhere that the need is.

They are run under the auspices of the EMS regional office/ training center who co-ordinate the State exams and paperwork process.

We have a Friend in Mass who runs a private for profit EMS training center and has been doing so for over 25 years.

She works through several community collages and does several "local " classes for small services around central /eastern Mass every year.

She also has a Home base school in an old elementary school that she leases part of.

She is a certified training center by Mass OEMS .

I am including a link to her school site here: http://www.starfireems.net/

not as advertising , but as a resource to finding more info on bring local training to your Reps. constituents . Jane loves to talk EMS education.

So you see there are many ways to bring the training out to the weeds.

Now your next issue to deal with is how to get the commitment from the youngsters to become providers and give back to their communities.

Let us know if you find a solution to that.

Ed

Edited by island emt