Hi

onlyinnewyork_

I am from New York (as my username says). I've just gotten my cert a couple of days ago finally :jump: , applying for different companies. As of right now I am volunteering, but its pretty boring, either I sign up for the wrong tours or they never get any calls lol. But I plan on going to a new company, because I heard pretty good things about them, at least till I get a call back, but I will stay volunteering on the side. I am not only doing this just for money, although here EMTs don't get payed much anyway. Got a long way till September also to join FDNY, which is my main goal. But question, how do you feel about people who take an EMT class, and then jump right into a paramedic class after?

Welcome. Congratulations on passing your class. The learning has only just started. Don't get complacent.

You will get a wide variety of opinions on the wisdom of jumping straight into paramedic school. Mine is that if you want to go to paramedic school go now. Jump in, both feet. Get it done. Don't wait.

Be prepared to work hard.

If you choose to do this find a good school that is heavy on both classroom work and clinical time. This isn't the time or place for a 600 hour paramedic training program. This is health care and the program you choose should adequately prepare you to be a health care provider.

Thank you :] , and I don't know I feel as if I were to jump into paramedic then, I would lose everything I've learned for EMT. I don't plan on going now anyway, I want to see how much I can handle in two years, plus I've been thinking about going back to college for nursing. Thanks for the advice !

Thank you :] , and I don't know I feel as if I were to jump into paramedic then, I would lose everything I've learned for EMT. I don't plan on going now anyway, I want to see how much I can handle in two years, plus I've been thinking about going back to college for nursing. Thanks for the advice !

Onlyinnewyork, you will NOT lose everything you have learned for EMT, what you will be doing is augmenting what you have learned in EMT School.

Consider this analogy.

You as a baby learned to crawl, now if you jumped right into learning to run a marathon? No, you would first be learning to walk and then learning to run and then learning to run for longer distances every day. You will not lose everything you have learned in EMT school because honestly, you really haven't learned but the tip of the iceberg in EMS and for that you need to branch out and get your paramedic to prove to you how much you don't quite yet know.

I second ParamedicMike's recommendation to go directly to paramedic School.

Welcome to the city

If you have thoughts of going to nursing school ::::: Do it. The pay , benefits and working conditions are far better.

My wife is a BSN nurse and while you are still dealing with sick people they are in a hospital and you have support from other staff.

Last I knew, RN scale in the NY area was $40.00hr ++++

We have a friend up here that travels down to CT for a weekend / month per diem with a scale of over $65.00 / hr at yale new haven hosp.

Edited by island emt

EMS, like healthcare in general, is compounding education. Everything you learn will build upon and use knowledge that you've gained previously. Paramedic school will build on what you've learned in EMT training. If you lose anything it's because you're doing something wrong.

With regards to nursing school, or paramedic school, or any future career education you plan to pursue, please do your research accordingly. Know what the job market is like in the area you want to live. Research compensation for the profession you've chosen. Can you afford to live off of what you'd make? Will you need to move for a job? There are many other possibilities to consider.

When you've found something you like and want to do, and you're satisfied through your research that the job market for that particular profession is sustainable professionally, financially and personally, then get it done.

And have fun doing it!

• Like 1

EMS, like healthcare in general, is compounding education. Everything you learn will build upon and use knowledge that you've gained previously. Paramedic school will build on what you've learned in EMT training. If you lose anything it's because you're doing something wrong.

With regards to nursing school, or paramedic school, or any future career education you plan to pursue, please do your research accordingly. Know what the job market is like in the area you want to live. Research compensation for the profession you've chosen. Can you afford to live off of what you'd make? Will you need to move for a job? There are many other possibilities to consider.

When you've found something you like and want to do, and you're satisfied through your research that the job market for that particular profession is sustainable professionally, financially and personally, then get it done.

And have fun doing it!

Thanks for the advice :] but I've researched everything, and I don't mind either or. Just for me I prefer to be in an ambulance than to be stuck inside a place. Plus I honestly don't plan on moving out of NY, But thank you everyone for your input, it is highly appreciated. But like I said my main focus is to get into FDNY, although they won't open up their filing till September, I just wanted to go back to school to get a degree on something, and I figured I would get one in nursing.

If you are waiting for a slot in fdny then you might as well go to school and get your degree.

If you really think you want to work on the street compared to a nice warm hospital, then go for it.

Won't make anywhere near the money on the street.

Plus the working conditions suck.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are waiting for a slot in fdny then you might as well go to school and get your degree.

If you really think you want to work on the street compared to a nice warm hospital, then go for it.

Won't make anywhere near the money on the street.

Plus the working conditions suck.

Yeah, I spoke to an EMT who works for FDNY, he is about to retire. He told me working on the street is the worst, and if I go in, go in for communications. He also said I am going to get "burned out" but I know people that have been doing this for years, and love it. The getting a degree part yeah, I am thinking about it, but I can't let this cert go to waste also.

Why do you want to be a nurse?

Honest question.

More money, and I don't want to get away from the medical field.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.