Hi

onlyinnewyork_

It's all a matter of your perspective. I miss being out on the streets, only dealing with 1 pt at a time, not having to deal with countless alphabet soup organizations looking over my shoulder on a daily basis. When I work, the only way I know if it is day or night is to look at the clock on the computer. I have no idea if it is sunny, snowing or raining (I usually guess snowing since I live in Michigan).

More money, and I don't want to get away from the medical field.

So it's not because you really want to be a nurse and provide good nursing care to your patients? It's because you want more money?

Please carefully consider what you're thinking/saying here. Please also consider your motivations for wanting to do what you're describing. Would you want a nurse taking care of you or your family member who was there simply because it was a job that paid more money? Or would you want a nurse taking care of you or your family member who is there because s/he is dedicated to the nursing profession and strives every day to be the best damn nurse possible because s/he loves it? There is a difference between the two.

There are plenty of nurses out there who are nurses simply because it pays well and they have nothing else to fall back on. These nurses are pretty easy to spot. The tells are generally not flattering or positive. These nurses are burned out and many times really shouldn't be providing nursing care.

There are many career considerations to be made. Money is one of those considerations. It is not the only one. In the end, however, it is your decision. All that can be asked by those with whom you'll be working, and especially by those for whom you'll be caring, is that you're making your career choices for the right reason.

• 3 weeks later...

It's all a matter of your perspective. I miss being out on the streets, only dealing with 1 pt at a time, not having to deal with countless alphabet soup organizations looking over my shoulder on a daily basis. When I work, the only way I know if it is day or night is to look at the clock on the computer. I have no idea if it is sunny, snowing or raining (I usually guess snowing since I live in Michigan).

that is true, but I'm sure the older I get the more I wouldn't want to be out anymore.

So it's not because you really want to be a nurse and provide good nursing care to your patients? It's because you want more money?

Please carefully consider what you're thinking/saying here. Please also consider your motivations for wanting to do what you're describing. Would you want a nurse taking care of you or your family member who was there simply because it was a job that paid more money? Or would you want a nurse taking care of you or your family member who is there because s/he is dedicated to the nursing profession and strives every day to be the best damn nurse possible because s/he loves it? There is a difference between the two.

There are plenty of nurses out there who are nurses simply because it pays well and they have nothing else to fall back on. These nurses are pretty easy to spot. The tells are generally not flattering or positive. These nurses are burned out and many times really shouldn't be providing nursing care.

There are many career considerations to be made. Money is one of those considerations. It is not the only one. In the end, however, it is your decision. All that can be asked by those with whom you'll be working, and especially by those for whom you'll be caring, is that you're making your career choices for the right reason.

okay, people get into a career field because they want to, at least I would hope so. Obviously I am just not doing it just for pay, why would I waste money on something that I wouldn't have passion in ? So don't take it in the way that you are thinking.

okay, people get into a career field because they want to, at least I would hope so. Obviously I am just not doing it just for pay, why would I waste money on something that I wouldn't have passion in ? So don't take it in the way that you are thinking.

Fair enough. I won't read it that way.

However, you'd be surprised the reasons people pick the jobs they do or choose the careers they do. There are a lot of people out there, and there seems to be a surprisingly high concentration in EMS circles, who choose their job/career based on the money they think they'll earn and not so much based on subjects about which they're passionate.

However, you'd be surprised the reasons people pick the jobs they do or choose the careers they do. There are a lot of people out there, and there seems to be a surprisingly high concentration in EMS circles, who choose their job/career based on the money they think they'll earn and not so much based on subjects about which they're passionate.

Yeah, I went in to medicine for the money, fancy cars, yachts and supermodels. Surprise! I have student loans equal to a second mortgage, drive a GMC, no boat, a wife and 4 kids and a government telling me how to do my job and reminding me how bad I am at doing it. Those TV shows lied to me!

I got into EMS for all the hot chicks and fast driving. I found out that hot chicks are few and far between and besides, my wife's way hotter than any of those in EMS.

I got into EMS for all the hot chicks and fast driving. I found out that hot chicks are few and far between and besides, my wife's way hotter than any of those in EMS.

I can't say the same. My fiancé is another paramedic.

• 2 months later...

I know what you are saying, I hate people who are like that. Plus they don't pay much in NY to EMTs anyway, but I still chose to become one, because I knew this is what I wanted to do.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.