Diver Medical Technician

Well the purpose of this post is to inform everyone that in May I am going to go for my DMT (Diver Medical Technician) Certification. I will be taking it at the DAN in Philadelphia and at the University Hospital of PA. Can't wait to bridge the two worlds together.

For those that may not know what DMTs are here is some information. Instead of paraphrasing I will let DAN explain it in their own words.

Diver Medical Technicians (DMTs) serve as the critical first step in the dive medicine chain, caring for injured divers on the scene and acting as tenders in the hyperbaric chamber.

DMTs provide an alternative to the presence of qualified hyperbaric physicians at every dive site who can respond to emergency medical situations and communicate effectively with a physician located remotely.

They also provide emergency care and basic life support in the field while stabilizing injured divers. They report accidents and treatment to medical authorities and perform tasks and give aid as directed by proper authorities.

DMTs also encourage fitness in the diving community and keep accurate, informative records, such and neurological assessments and histories of divers in their care, where appropriate.

Designed for those wishing to become a DMT, the course offers lectures presented by internationally known faculty, invasive skills training and hands on chamber operations. It gives participants an opportunity to learn at the DAN headquarters.

Topics include:

Program Certification

role and responsibilities of the DMT

• diving physics and physiology
  • inert gas narcosis
  • gas toxicities
  • ear and sinuse barotrauma
  • otoscope use
  • decompression sickness (DCS)
  • pulmonary barotrauma and AGE
  • commercial and sat operations
  • evaluating medical fitness to dive
  • patient assessment
  • wound closure
  • Dive Accident Management
  • Invasive and noninvasive clinical skills (airway, IV, medication admin, Foley, etc)
  • Physical exams
  • Patient challenges in hyperbaric medicine
  • Two days of chamber operations
  • AHA ACLS
  • The National Board of Diving and Hyperbaric Medical Technology has certified the DAN DMT course as a Module 16 program.
  • Each course is limited to 15 persons.

So besides my normal BLS studies I will be adding some ALS skills. Yes, before folks ask, this does NOT qualify me to be ALS in the medical field, I checked. The AHA ACLS is recognized Nationally BUT being I will not be a recognized Paramedic I will only be able to do these skills in a diving environment not during my EMT shifts. Yes, I will be with online medical control through DAN during invasive procedures as per guide lines.

I also get to work as a chamber tender which sounds interesting as well. Might even open a few doors for future employment.

Looks like I will be bending some ears as I go through this course to help with the invasive stuff if I can't grasp it right away. Thanks in advance to anyone who helps out :D

Well figured I would give folks a heads up in case they get weird PMs from me.

Edited by uglyEMT

I love the Diving technician field, I never went through it but I did read a text book that taught the basics all the way up to the advanced processes and procedures. It was a great read.

It allowed me to hone my treatment of diving injuries which we saw a smattering of diving injuries in our area as we had some nice areas for diving.

DAN is a great organization and you should be proud to be a part of it.

And you are like a couple hours from my domicile place of residence so maybe we can get together for dinner.

Thanks Ruff. Yea when I was approached about it after Rescue Diver cert I didn't know what to think so I started some research and seemed a perfect fit for me. Then I forgot about until this week when DAN contacted me and said a spot opened up in their Philly class. So I jumped at it. Should really be an intense and interesting course.

I am really looking forward to the chamber time. One of the lessons will be nitrogen narcosis. They are actually going to make us experience it in the chamber so we know our limits, what it feels like, and how to spot it easier. Hopefully they let me GoPro it. Think it will be hilarious.

I'll let you know about the dinner. Pretty fimiliar with the area and surround so maybe meet half way. I'll look at the schedule once I get my packet.

Now for me to crack some books and learn my ACLS and some tips for the invasive stuff. Don't want to go in totally blind.

I did a hyperbaric rotation in a multi place while in respiratory school. It was an interesting experience; however, the patients we "dived" were mainly wound related cases.

Are you good on gas laws?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey chbare. I'm good on my gas laws as far as dive planning goes. I have been getting more in depth as I prep for my upcoming course.

I do know they will be getting into it more through out the course as it pertains to what we are doing. Some of the correspondences I have had said they are very hands on vs regurgitation so we can understand the why as well as the what.

I will be updating as the course goes on but for now I am just doing some prep work on a few things to refresh myself.

Hey, Ugly.

Thanks for letting everyone know about your latest undertaking. I've been thinking about DMT for years, even before I started diving myself. Glad you are able to make it happen. Be sure to keep the forum updated with your progress. Should be interesting.

Edited by Eyegor

Eyegor not a problem. I hope to do a good write up as I go through or at least once I finish. I also think ti will be interesting. Also I have my local group of divers eager to hear about the course and want a write up but looking at it the other way, as a diver being helped so they can understand what may be required of them in an emergency.

And from what I hear from your partners up yonder parts, you have absolutely NO Problem with the GAS laws, at least not after you've hit the chili a little bit too hard the day before.

Island she is doing great. Thanks for asking. Amazing little thing, she already has me around her finger hehe

Ruff. Shhhhh don't want to scare away any future partners lol

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.