Thinking about a career in EMS

HannahA1

Hi everyone! I am Hannah (if you couldn't tell from the username).

I am currently a high school senior in PA and thinking about doing a career in EMS. I have been looking at a few bachelor degrees that come with a paramedic certification. I know the paramedic is the highest level of the EMT- totem pole. I just have ran into some questions I was hoping you guys can help out with :)

1 - If I were to get my EMT-B first would that help me in the paramedic studies? or would it not be worth the investment and time?

2 - Back when I was sixteen I got in a little trouble with some prescriptions. I was then able to enter a diversion program to avoid from being convicted. I successfully completed the program and was never convicted. I then had the court records expunged. Will any EMS agencies be able to see this prior record and will it hurt my chances at becoming a paramedic?

3 - What is the average pay starting out? I know it's not all about the pay. But I still need an idea of a financial outlook. Making it more simple would it be enough to pay the bills, support a family, and have a bit of fun at the same time?

4 - I have a ride-a-long with my local paramedics coming up this weekend. I was going to ask the medics these questions but I have a question about the ride-a-long so might as well ask the rest here. During the ride-a-long what should I wear? I was thinking of just sneakers, khakis, and a polo like my school uniform. But I don't want to take the chance of them getting ruined somehow during the ride-a-long.

Thanks for your time :)

- Hannah

• Like 1

Hi everyone! I am Hannah (if you couldn't tell from the username).

I am currently a high school senior in PA and thinking about doing a career in EMS. I have been looking at a few bachelor degrees that come with a paramedic certification. I know the paramedic is the highest level of the EMT- totem pole. I just have ran into some questions I was hoping you guys can help out with :)

1 - If I were to get my EMT-B first would that help me in the paramedic studies? or would it not be worth the investment and time? You have to get your EMT before you get your medic. It's a pre-requisite.

2 - Back when I was sixteen I got in a little trouble with some prescriptions. I was then able to enter a diversion program to avoid from being convicted. I successfully completed the program and was never convicted. I then had the court records expunged. Will any EMS agencies be able to see this prior record and will it hurt my chances at becoming a paramedic? If the records were indeed expunged then NO they will not see it and you do not need to divulge that on your application because I believe an expunged record is just the same as having no record at all but your attorney who took care of your little brush with the law should be able to tell you. I won't go into the moral or ethical stance regarding prescription abuse or sales which is probably the one you had issues with. We in our field deal with medications on a daily basis and I am hoping that you have dealt with those urges prior to your getting into this field. PM me if you want to know more about what I mean.

3 - What is the average pay starting out? I know it's not all about the pay. But I still need an idea of a financial outlook. Making it more simple would it be enough to pay the bills, support a family, and have a bit of fun at the same time? Can't really tell you how much you will make but guess about an average of 11 per hour nationally and that number will widely vary.

4 - I have a ride-a-long with my local paramedics coming up this weekend. I was going to ask the medics these questions but I have a question about the ride-a-long so might as well ask the rest here. During the ride-a-long what should I wear? I was thinking of just sneakers, khakis, and a polo like my school uniform. But I don't want to take the chance of them getting ruined somehow during the ride-a-long. Your instincts were correct on this one grasshopper.

- Hannah

Welcome to the city:

1 . As a rule I recommend that folks take the EMT-B course and "try out" what it takes to be involved in EMS.

Seen too many folks go straight to Paramedic school $$$$$$ , only to find out that they can't deal with blood or vomit or screaming people and decide that this is not the profession for them.

2. It depends : you were a juvenile and most juvie records are sealed by the court.

However when you go before the state to apply for an EMS license they will do a full background check and it may appear at that point.

They will also ask if you ever had charges against you or arrests on your record.

To answer no and have that pop up in a background check would possibly be a reason not to issue you a license to practice.

Check with your state EMS office for the definitive answer.

3 . Pay scales vary widely around the country. I know of places that start at $9.00/hr and others that start @ $20.00/hr. it varies widely around the country as to pay & benefits available to EMS providers.

Dress neat clean and professional. If your worried about getting dirty , then this may not be the field for you.

Good luck and remember to do what they tell you while on a call, it's your safety they are concerned about.

1 - I'm not too sure about that. A couple colleges I was looking at does not say EMT-B is a requirement. They just want an interview, my SAT scores, and my grades from high school.

2 - Explained that in the message to you. But as long as it's not seen on a background check I am fine. I learned my lesson for it and got the required held.

Welcome to the city:

1 . As a rule I recommend that folks take the EMT-B course and "try out" what it takes to be involved in EMS.

Seen too many folks go straight to Paramedic school $$$$$$ , only to find out that they can't deal with blood or vomit or screaming people and decide that this is not the profession for them.

2. It depends : you were a juvenile and most juvie records are sealed by the court.

However when you go before the state to apply for an EMS license they will do a full background check and it may appear at that point.

They will also ask if you ever had charges against you or arrests on your record.

To answer no and have that pop up in a background check would possibly be a reason not to issue you a license to practice.

Check with your state EMS office for the definitive answer.

3 . Pay scales vary widely around the country. I know of places that start at $9.00/hr and others that start @ $20.00/hr. it varies widely around the country as to pay & benefits available to EMS providers.

Dress neat clean and professional. If your worried about getting dirty , then this may not be the field for you.

Good luck and remember to do what they tell you while on a call, it's your safety they are concerned about.

1 - I can see the logic there. I just find it more time consuming being taken away from me becoming a medic. If I were to get my EMT-B cert will anything from that count towards the EMT-P cert? like somehow get certain things turned into credits for college?

I'm not really too worried about "getting dirty" which I highly doubt it I will. Just concerned about getting certain things on important clothes. I don't get issued uniforms like the medics for a ride-a-long.

You shouldn't find yourself exposed to bodily fluids while on a ride along . The normal uniform in most places is dark blue or black pants and a polo or dress shirt. You want to present yourself in a professional manner to both the crew you will be riding with, the management and the public you might be dealing with..

EMT-B is a short class that usually lasts one semester [150 hours]

Welcome.

1 - I'm not too sure about that. A couple colleges I was looking at does not say EMT-B is a requirement. They just want an interview, my SAT scores, and my grades from high school.

If you want to take the National Registry paramedic exam you need to be certified as an National Registry EMT-B first. As the National Registry paramedic exam is the certification exam to become a paramedic in many states (perhaps most at this point?) then you will need to be an EMT-B first regardless of what the college says.

More information about EMT certifications can be found here at the National Registry website and also at the State EMS website for your state.

1 - I can see the logic there. I just find it more time consuming being taken away from me becoming a medic. If I were to get my EMT-B cert will anything from that count towards the EMT-P cert? like somehow get certain things turned into credits for college?

What's going to be a bigger waste to you? Finding out after you've spend thousands of dollars and all that time in a paramedic class that you hate EMS? Or taking a step wise approach, being out a couple of hundred dollars (tops!) and about 150 hours worth of instructional time?

So far it seems the rest of your questions have been pretty accurately, and adequately, answered.

Enjoy the ride along.

I suppose then that the EMT-B will be first.

Khakis, sneakers, and polo will be it then. I was thinking about my scrubs from school. But that'd be too much and it's not like I should be exposed to anything.

Thanks for the advice

Edited by HannahA1

Never wear scrubs on an ambulance unless it is the dress code. You will be labeled as a whacker and it will be hard to shake that image. As for getting your EMT-B, if you are looking into getting a bachelors degree in EMS, prehospital medicine, paramedicine or whatever the school calls it, check the curriculum. I have heard that getting you EMT-B and medic are a part of the degree.

What school are you in that you have to wear scrubs?

Probably a school that has a focus on nursing but decided to offer a paramedic/emt course as well. It's probably run by nurses and not medics etc and what's good for the nurses in the program is good for the paremedic/emt students.

I have a friend who went through that type of school. He said that the medic students always got the short end of the stick. The program that he went through was a pilot program and it's no longer offered.

Edited by Ruffmeister Paramedic

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.