FILESGlucagon and Cardiac Arrest

File Name: Glucagon and Cardiac Arrest

File Submitter: Ruffmeister Paramedic

File Submitted: 04 Feb 2014

File Category: Cardiac

A Promising study.

Click here to download this file

• 9 months later...

No worries. My service is heavily involved in the various ROC studies and I was wondering if enough evidence had been collected to suggest it as a new trial once we're finished with ALPS (Amiodarone Lidocaine or Placebo (saline)).

No worries. My service is heavily involved in the various ROC studies and I was wondering if enough evidence had been collected to suggest it as a new trial once we're finished with ALPS (Amiodarone Lidocaine or Placebo (saline)).

I think that what you'll see is either a intubation study (maybe, but if some groups dropped out that could, and hopefully WOULD kill that study) or one done on various doses of epinephrine. My personal opinion only on the latter but...wouldn't surprise me.

All I can say is that we had a lot more Returns of Circulation (not necessarily discharges from hospital) when we started every arrest patient off with a round of bicarb, D50, and Epi.

Sure you did.

I would like to have seen a glucagon only arm. With all of these studies with poorer outcomes with epi, you have to wonder if epi isn't the problem.

I doubt glucagon will be studied in any large way anytime soon, but who knows.

Epi, on the other hand, is worth looking at, especially since the most recent bullshit study from Japan (I honestly don't understand why those get published in the form they were in) and some other smaller, poorly run ones have come out.

I think that if a true randomized study is ever done it'll probably show, not that epi is bad, but that it is most effective and has the highest benefit when given early (as the Japanese study actually showed), and most likely doesn't need to be given in the same massive doses that it's given now.

That and that at some point we need to come around to understanding that a lot of people who go into cardiac arrest did so for a reason, and should be allowed to remain that way.

Mikey...this is a discussion for adults. Go sit in the corner and observe.