Promising new study - still needs more work though

This study looks promising adding Glucagon to adrenaline in Cardiac arrest but the results were good.

http://www.ajemjournal.com/article/S0735-6757(13)00701-8/abstract?elsca1=etoc&elsca2=email&elsca3=0735-6757_201402_32_2&elsca4=emergency_medicine

Who knows if this will become a standard in 5-10 years down the road.

Abstract Objective

Cardiac arrest is a daunting medical emergency. The aim of the present study was to assess whether the combination of adrenaline and glucagon would improve initial resuscitation success, 48-hour survival, and neurologic outcome compared with adrenaline alone in a porcine model of ventricular fibrillation.

Methods

Ventricular fibrillation was induced in 20 healthy Landrace/Large White piglets, which were subsequently left untreated for 8 minutes. The animals were randomized to receive adrenaline alone (n = 10, group C) and adrenaline plus glucagon (n = 10, group G). All animals were resuscitated according to the 2010 European Resuscitation Council guidelines. Hemodynamic variables were measured before arrest, during arrest and resuscitation, and during the first 60 minutes after return of spontaneous circulation. Survival and a neurologic alertness score were measured at 48 hours after return of spontaneous circulation.

Results

Return of spontaneous circulation was achieved in 8 animals (80%) from group C and 10 animals (100%) from group G (P = .198). A significant gradual increase in coronary perfusion pressure and diastolic aortic pressure over time, which started 1 minute after the onset of cardiopulmonary resuscitation, was observed. Three animals (30%) from group C and 9 animals (90%) from group G survived after 48 hours (P = .006), whereas neurologic examination was significantly better in the animals of group G (P < .001).

Conclusions

In this porcine model of prolonged ventricular fibrillation, the addition of glucagon to adrenaline improves hemodynamics during resuscitation and early postresuscitation period and may increase survival.

Edited by Ruffmeister Paramedic

I did not have access to the full text of the study for two reasons, I don't think i have access on a membership level and I just didn't have the time to go try to get the article. Maybe ERDoc does. Or maybe ParamedicMike does.

Well Hellfire, I'm not asking for freebies. I'm just asking for the world.

Ok, ERDoc, it appears that with my access at the university of maryland, I do have access to the full article. So for the scholars among us, how do I go about posting the entire write up without screwing up Admins legal rights?

I want to do this right and not get him in any hot water again.

guidance please. Thanks