Promising new study - still needs more work though

Neat! I wonder what prompted them to pair glucagon and epi? Did they find a dramatic drop in glucose levels during cardiac arrest?

I cannot speak to the authors but glucagon binds to metabotropic receptors and this causes an increase in an intracellular secondary messenger molecule called cAMP. This molecule have cardiovascular effects, so asking theses questions based on the known physiology associated with glucagon administration could be a starting point for researchers as there are documented cardiovascular effects associated with glucagon.

I cannot speak to the authors but glucagon binds to metabotropic receptors and this causes an increase in an intracellular secondary messenger molecule called cAMP. This molecule have cardiovascular effects, so asking theses questions based on the known physiology associated with glucagon administration could be a starting point for researchers as there are documented cardiovascular effects associated with glucagon.

Or two grad students had a moment of ethanol-induced philosophical clarity one night and one of them remembered to write down their theory so they could present it to their department at the meeting on Monday.

I remember in the movie with Val Kilmer where he was the Genius and he was sitting under the fridge and the frozen whatchamacallit dropped out and he had his epiphany, not sure of the movie but it was one of my favorites.

Or In Indpendence Day when Jeff Goldblum figured out to give the aliens the common cold.

Or two grad students had a moment of ethanol-induced philosophical clarity one night and one of them remembered to write down their theory so they could present it to their department at the meeting on Monday.

I knew it had cardio effects since it's used in beta-blocker overdoses. I'll read the study though, thanks for the post Ruff!

Remember, epinephrine attaches to receptors that also use cAMP as a secondary intracellular messenger, therefore it's not unreasonable to question the physiology of other agents that make use of this molecule.

Hm, interesting. It's always surprising what they come up with next; it might be something that changes medicine or doesn't go beyond a small study.